viens

I wake up and scan the room around me

I wake up and scan the room around me. The sun blinded my eyes for a moment, so I let myself adjust the the light. I got up from my bed and pulled out my favorite clothes and pulled them on my body.

I admired myself in the mirror and pulled my hair into (favorite hairstyle). The floors beneath me creaked as I walked across my room. A small knock on the door causes me to turn around and face the door.

"(Name), breakfast is ready for you." I hear my mother say on the other side.

"I'll be right there!" I reply. I walk over to my desk and pull out a golden chained necklace with the wings of freedom as a charm. My father had given this to me as a gift. He was a scout, but he died on an expedition.

I left the room I was sitting in and made my way down to the kitchen. "What did you make?" I ask.

"I made (favorite food)."

"Thanks, mom." I gobble down the food that was in front of me.

"Woah, slow down (name)." My mother giggles. I smile up at her and wipe my face with a napkin. I take the plate in my hands and walk over to the sink. I wash the crumbs and oils off of the plate and then dry it with a rag.

My mother sips on her tea and watches as I clean up. "I could have cleaned." she said quietly.

"It's alright!" I reply.

"I'm going to head out today to pick up some groceries. Was there anything you needed?" My mother asked, pulling out a paper and a pin to write a list.

"No, I don't need anything." I say, walking over to her. I watch as she scribbles down on the paper.

"Okay, then," she lifted the pin off of the paper and folded the list. "I'll get going so I can come back sooner." She got up from her seat and opened the door to our house.

"Oh, hello Eren, Mikasa." I heard my mother say.

"Hello, Mrs. (last name). Is (name) in?" I hear eren ask.

"(name)," my mom calls, "Eren and Mikasa are here!" I walk up behind my mom and see a boy with emerald green eyes and a girl with dark hair and a red scarf.

"Hi!" I say, waving at the two.

"(name)!" Eren exclaims.

"(name), I think Armin's in trouble." Mikasa said, pulling me out of my house.

"(name), be back in time for dinner!" My mom called as we ran from the house. They lead me through the city to find Armin.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"We left Armin alone. I heard some shouting so he could have gotten in trouble again." Mikasa said. Armin was always picked on by some of the boys in our city. Armin would never fight back. I'm glad he didn't try to cause trouble, but I wish he would just defend himself.

In the distance, I can see a few boys picking on Armin. One of them punched him. The yelling became louder as we came closer. "That's Eren!" One of the boys said.

"There's Mikasa!" They yell, running away.

"Ha! Their scared of me!" Eren says, standing there with his hands on his hips.

"Armin.." I say quietly, sitting down next to him. "Are you okay?" A bit of blood came out from his nose, but other than that he looked fine.

"I'm okay, (name)." he said weakly.

"Armin, why don't you fight back?" I ask.

"Because I've already won. All they do is act violently." I didn't understand his answer, but I decided to listen to him
anyway.

"Okay, come on Armin." I said, pulling him
up from the ground. Together, we walked to a small lake. Armin started rambling about life beyond the walls.

Eren seemed invested in what he was saying, but Mikasa seemed unimpressed. Eren threw a rock into the water in front of us. "Why are they always picking on us? Why won't they just let us dream?" Eren asked, frustrated.

"We should just let it go, Eren. Once we find out what's behind the walls, they won't have reason to mess with us anymore." I say, trying to raise his spirits.

"These walls are powerful," Armin starts, "They've held up for hundreds of years. Because of it, nobody wants to wonder outside of them. I cannot disagree with that logic, but I'd still like to see the world." The two of them start to complain about how the government controls the way we live our lives and think. I didn't think that the two of them were wrong.

"Keep it down." Mikasa snaps, "Someone will hear you." Eren then began to speak about his dream of becoming a scout.

"Their not exactly pleased with my decision.." he said quietly. The wind blew against my skin, and I started to zone out on the voices around me.

"Maybe I might want to join the scouts as well." I say quietly.

"Seriously?" Mikasa asked, almost thinking I was joking.

"Well, yeah."

"Great! We can do this together!" Eren cheered.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Armin asked, "I've watched as they come home. They always come back with less than what they sent. It seems very dangerous."

"Come on, you guys are speaking about the walls. These are the people's sense of security. Why not protect them?" I say, trying to make sense of my hopes.

"I guess.." Armin said, "But these walls won't hold forever. It's only a matter of time." As if it was planned, a crack of lightening was cast down from right outside of the wall. The sudden bolt caused the earth below us to jump forcefully, knocking all four of us in the air.

I got up from the ground I hand landed on and looked in the direction it came in. "What was that?" Eren asked, getting up a couple feet away from me. I looked around as people from the city started to mumble about what they had seen.

Armin ran into the street to figure it out for himself. "Armin, what are you doing?" Eren called running after him. I followed behind Eren, also running out into the street.

"What happened?" I asked, looking at the crowd of people. All of their heads were turned in the same direction. I looked to where their eyes were positioned, and saw a titan looking over the walls.