Chapter 12

•••

I twist the what I assumed was a locked door knob, but the front door to Penelope's apartment gracefully swings open as I let go of the handle

I twist the what I assumed was a locked door knob, but the front door to Penelope's apartment gracefully swings open as I let go of the handle. I look into the dark and empty apartment not a single sign of anyone being in there.

That's weird.

I'd assumed Pen would be home by now but apparently she's not since her shoes aren't here.

Then why was it unlocked?

I carefully close the door behind me and lock it before I hear some muffled voices coming from down the hall.

No,no, no, not today please. Having to sit through a painfully boring dinner was already enough torture for one night. I do not want to deal with a break in on top of that.

I kick of my uncomfortable heals and reach for the baseball bat hidden behind the shoe rack. I mentally scold myself for leaving the revolver back in the guest bedroom. Guess I'll have to just use my kick ass karate skills instead.

I sneak past the kitchen and towards the hallway, hiding behind a wall before quickly jumping out with my bat in the air ready to swing at the intruder.

Is this how Aaron Hotchner feels when he chases serial killers?

I let the bat rest by my side and exhale a sigh of relief when I see that the corridor is empty. The muffled voices are a little louder now but I still can't tell where they're coming from.

Not even going to lie, I do feel pretty badass walking down the hallway with my bat, especially in this fancy dress.

It's pretty bold of someone to try and break into two criminal masterminds apartment. I mean the chances of them getting out alive are pretty slim, but hey, I admire them for at least trying.

There isn't even anything good to steal in here except Chinese takeout leftovers or Penelope's big stash of sex toys. If they wanted valuable stuff they should've gone for my neighbor who drives a Ferrari, although I don't think they would've made it past her sea of cats.

Sadly I speak from experience.

I'm about to sneak into my room to get the revolver but instead I slip on something and go flying towards the wooden floor.

A loud thud and a shriek echoes through the hallway as I bang my head on the hard surface.

"Fuck!" I groan rubbing the back of my head feeling the pain pulse though my skull.