Chapter 7 - A Love Like This

//"I know a love like this won't last forever; but I don't mind at all"//

~ start song: A Love Like This, Kodline Acoustic Version ~

Diana Barry was dreaming of snow.

Snow, like the ground had fallen under the gentle sigh of bountiful white blossom. It smelt fresh and inviting, clean and like a...

New beginning.

She felt- as the leaves fell dead and dull around her- as if she was waiting for the world to open up, to move on already, to the next chapter.

'Diana Barry, she's a dutiful daughter, but has she ever acted out of her mother's shadow?'

Waiting, longing for the white to erase, to overcome the dirt and heavily trodden ground. To provide her with a new canvas, unblemished and untouched even by sight.

'I heard she ran to Queens. She'll waste away there, such a shame, she could never have a brighter future there than her intended one in Paris.'

She stood out side the school's front doors, alone in the open corridor. Leaves thrown recklessly into each other by a hollow wind rustled around and over her feet, so she replied with her own rattled sigh.

'She's a simple girl. Simple looks, simple mind. Quite a contrast to that frightful savage of a girl, Anne Shirley.'

School had ended not long ago with the grand hammering of the bell, and it only took a few moments in till the students had spilled out of the grounds, leaving a short, dull-haired girl leaning against a cold stone column. She didn't know where Anne, or Ruby, or anyone was, simply because she hadn't asked.

A step behind, a word ago, a moment late. Stuck in the slow constant whirling of her own insufficient mind.

Perhaps Jane was with that girl from her geometry class. Diana wondered if she had asked, would they have invited her? Probably, but it wouldn't be much use, because she didn't care to go anyways.

"I fervently believe biology will become the death of me. You'll say something kind at my funeral, wont you, Diana dear?"

Phillipa joined Diana by the column, smiling cordially.

"You'll get through it Phil, I know you will." Diana comforted, and rolled her shoulders, pushing a smile onto her lips in greeting.

Phil sighed "Unlikely."

"Well, maybe you could ask someone in your class for tutoring. I'm sure any of them would jump at the chance to spend time with you." she suggested, knowing full well Phillipa's status among the young men at Queens.

"I have considered it. But I need to learn anatomy, not fawn over the way Roy Gardner's eyes are the exact colour of chocolate." Phil giggled, and her voice became lofty, and took on a tone of fantasy.

"I could tolerate even anatomy if I had that boy to stare at all day."

"Roy isn't the only student capable of anatomy you know. Charlie Sloane is just as good, maybe even better than Gardner." Diana put forward, seriously.

"Oh, don't torture me so. Anne has the patience of a saint, having that boy follow her around like google-eyed puppy." Phil laughed, exaggerating her disdain for the idea with a hand to her chest.

"All I'm saying is that there are somethings that you can learn to tolerate in order to get a passing mark." Diana shrugged.

"... I think you are right Diana. I should consider my options. Perhaps my kind, and intelligent best friend could do me this huge favour?" She raised her eyebrows pointedly.