Chapter ten

Enjoy the chapter my friends 😁❤

After telling Mike I'd go with him to Wills after school tommorow he grabbed my hand, taking me by suprise as he began to help me to my feet.

I gave him a confused stare but he just smiled, walking with me over to the stairs and beginning to climb them.

"Mike, what're you doing?" I asked him, whispering. He put his finger over his mouth to tell me to be quiet. I rolled my eyes but didn't say anything else as he made his way to the hall right off from the stairs.

He walked his way to the front door, making sure to be slow about it to refrain from making too much noise and alerting someone.

When we go to the door he grabbed onto the handle and gently turned it. He pulled the door open a couple inches but scrunched his face up as it suddenly let out a loud creak.

"Michael? Are you leaving already?" I heard Mikes mom yell from the other room. "Y-uh yeah mom, just going to meet up with uh..Dustin. we're going to read um..comics at his house." He lied, hoping she wouldn't ask him about it anymore.

"Oh well, okay. Be careful. And tell Claudia I said hi." "Will do mom, uh gotta go. Bye!" He didn't wait for any further reply as he ushered me out of the ajar door.

As soon as he closed the door he grabbed my hand and started to walk again. I still had no idea where he was taking me, but it was out of the house so I was pretty content either way.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he stopped in front of his bike.

"You've been staying in there all day long for days now. The least I could do is let you be outside for a while." He answered, smiling at me.

I smiled back at him appreciatively. "Thank you." My smile slightly dropped as I thought about it. "But we could be seen, is it worth the risk?"

"I mean, maybe not, but I promise we won't be seen. Besides, do you really think they'd be looking for you out in the woods?" I appreciated the reasuringness but I gave him a confused look as I processed his words.

"The woods?"

"Yeah. There's this patch of woods about a mile or two away, me and Lucas made a trail when we met. We used to ride our bikes down it all the time. Theres this huge hill and its really fun to ride down, although I did scrape my knee and Lucas sprained his ankle the first time we went down." Mike rambled.

I looked at his bike and then back at him. "This isn't a two person bike." I stated. He nodded. "Yeah. It isn't." I mentally face palmed.

"Okayy...so how are we both supposed to ride on it." He looked at me as if I was the dumbest person on earth. "You sit in the seat, and I'll steer the bike and pedal. Its actually pretty simple if you would just think about it."

I rolled my eyes once more and took a seat on the bike. I watched Mike as he got on right in front of me, having nothing to sit on. I wondered how he was supposed to ride it without sitting but my question was answered when he pretty much just stood on the pedals and rode off.

I watched as he pedaled, taking in the way it seemed almost effortless, even with the weight of us both. I couldn't help but notice his shoes as I watched his pedal. They were nice. I looked down at mine. They were just old dirty white shoes that the lab supplied us with.

Most of the time subjects didn't get shoes, but certain ones did. Certain ones that followed rules, or just had to  walk around more than others.

The shoes had gotten dirty and they were duck taped. I hadn't worn them when I escaped. I had brought a small bag that we're allowed to have. We stored extra gowns, our socks and shoes (if we had them), and maybe a personal item we were allowed to keep in them.