Chapter thirty three

Enjoy the chapter guyss 🥰💕
_________________________________________

I could hear the water running from outside, listening for my queue which was as soon as the water stopped.

I had volunteered to be the one to close the door, that being our only idea to truly grab his attention before the rest of it was to be carried out.

I felt a slight pit in my stomach as I waited, knowing that if I fucked this up I could be risking all of our lives including Billys because I know that the Mind flayer is most definitely not a fan of me.

If El closing the gate made him angry, what I did is about twenty times worse.

I couldn't help but remember the times I had been in the upside down with El. It was hard not to go back into the state I had been in when Mike first took me in.

I felt brainwashed, not really understanding much about the outside world until Mike helped me to.

I just remembered laying awake during my time there, not being able to rid myself of the dreadful memories of me and El taking our shots at the Mind flayer.

But it was worse than that.

Though I did escape not too long after El had, I was one of the only ones left. The experiments were killing the other kids. There were many different causes of why they were dying.

The lab was nothing but a torture chamber.
Some kids had their brains fried.
If they didn't meet papa's standards, sometimes they would be taken to shock therapy.

Others were malnourished and eventually starved to death, some died of exhaustion from the lack of or no sleep at all.

And some turned their powers onto themselves, at least the ones that had physically harmful ones.
For some, the torture of the lab grew to be too much and they ended their own lives because of the pain they endured.

So with all the death, and the loss of Eleven, I had become their only hope.

They used me to my full extent, sending me into the upside down. Alone.
And sometimes even without a hazmat suit because papa didn't have
"enough time"
to get me ready.

I burned the Mind Flayer.
Many many times.

But that most definitely wasn't it.
That wasn't all they had me do.

When they really wanted to test things out, and take a dangerous route, they would have me close the gate.
Then they'd have me reopen it.

Close it.
Reopen it.
Close it
Reopen it

Close it

Reopen it

C̶L̶O̶S̶E̶ I̶T̶●

○R̶E̶O̶P̶E̶N̶ I̶T̶○

And it went on time and time again.
I had eventually lost count of how many times I opened and then closed the gate during the year El was gone.

I knew I should've said something about it last year when El went to close the gate.

I should've told them I would be the one to do it considering I had experience doing so, but I didn't want to get in the way and I didn't want to reopen a scar I had been trying my hardest to seal at the time.

But right now, being right here, waiting to get the new hosts attention, made that pit in my stomach very very deep.

I know that cold glare he had sent into my eyes at Heather's house meant something. It wasn't just a cold person.