ii

↳ ❝🍓 [chapter 02] ¡! ❞🚬

EVA DIDN'T KNOW WHAT SHE WAS MEANT TO DO NOW. Just...move on with her life after going through a near-death experience? She was just sitting in her living room surrounded by boxes, listening to the ringing in her ears that seemed to overtake the silence. The settling noises of the old house started her.

Eva had called Namjoon to tell him she had gotten home and he let out the heaviest sigh of relief at the news

"Good, I heard there was a shooting in the park and you said you were going that way." His voice sounded worried and frantic as if he had been pacing. Namjoon was a worrier. That's all he did. He worried about important things that could mean life or death for her as well as more trivial things like what he was going to eat for lunch.

Eva didn't know what to say. Her mouth went dry and her hands became clammy. She wiped her hands on the red, plaid pajama pants she was wearing. Maybe she should tell him...he wouldn't call the police, right? No, no. Namjoon was too law-abiding. Hell, Eva was otherwise law-abiding, but the threat of death was enough to make her at the most, an accomplice.

Eva decided not to take that chance and to keep her mouth shut.

"Yeah...I heard the shots and then I ran home." She lied, messing with the end of her oversized shirt. Eva pulled her legs up against her chest and wrapped her arms around herself. "I'm fine." It sounds more like she's trying to reassure herself rather than him, glancing at the shadows of her living room like someone was going to come out of the shadows with a gun at any moment.

"Are you okay?"

Eva slouched against her couch and remembered the stranger that saved her life. The way he smelled like cigarettes and cologne. His gruff voice telling her to be careful and sharp, dark eyes staring deep into hers. She should be grateful. She is grateful. He saved her life and now she was indebted to him. How was she ever supposed to thank him?

"Eva?" Namjoon's deep voice pulled her out of her hypnotizing memory. She blinked once, harder than necessary. "Oh, sorry. Yeah, I'm fine." She cleared out her throat.

"I'm fine."

Eva went to bed that night thinking of her savior with much appreciation and what she could do to thank him for risking his own life for hers. He'd probably tell her not to be stupid. It wasn't that much of a risk, she was just sitting there like an idiot.

In the morning, Eva decided to bake some Strawberry Shortbread cookies, her favorite snack as a child. Her mother made the best and Eva refused to eat anything that wasn't her recipe. She remembered it by heart, standing beside her mother on her little step stool, watching with stars in her chocolate eyes as she made them.