Gone

Michael, just like Ein, never lets me leave his side. It's obvious why I'm there. I'm there to ensure he stays protected.

From Aaron. From the Ultima.

But the little I've seen of Aaron since we got here, he's been perfectly obedient to all GF commands. He knows he's going to be used for something, and he's doing nothing to stop it. He has nothing to live for anymore.

"Ro'Meave, I'd steady yourself." Michael says suddenly as we're walking down the halls to what I assume is a lab room or something. I've been memorizing the hallways here, in case I ever break out and need to escape. We're currently taking a route I don't recognize, so it must be deeper inside.

"Why, sir?" I ask.

"We're going to break the ground around us so we can have the Celestial Cannon's full capabilities realized." Michael says, still walking.

I follow him, and he's right, a few seconds later the walls around us shake with so much force, dust falls from the ceiling. Just like it did when the earthquake happened the other day.

Oh my Irene... was that just a little more than a day ago? Before my brother killed Kawaii~Chan? Before Garroth kidnapped me and brought me here to be used as some sick pawn?

Who is left? Who hasn't fallen? Garroth, Katelyn, Melissa, Derek, Rachel, Kawaii~Chan, Aphmau, Travis... That leaves only Lucinda, Zane, and Kim. Three out of a family of friends. And I don't even know if Zane is still alive, or where Kim and Lucinda are in this place. And Terry! What happened to him? Where has he gone now that Travis is... Michael.

The shaking stops and Michael keeps walking. I get up from my balanced stance and follow him. We enter a large cavern, with tech everywhere and a huge platform in the center, right underneath a pearly white fixture.

Then I remember.

The day Lucinda broke into Terry's house, Kim and I saw the book. And the conversation afterward...

"Where was the part that talked about turning souls into stones?" I asked. "M-maybe he's gotten to that part already?"

Kim shuddered and hugged herself. "Can souls actually be turned into something?"

"Yes, they can." Lucinda said sadly. "And that section was near the middle. Why?"

"Because the red book mark was there." I said.

Lucinda gasps. "Oh, no! I marked that page so I could spell it away! I tried to rip it out, but it had a sticking spell on it, so I bookmarked it so I could perform the counter-charm on it!"

Dread seeped through my veins. "So... he's definitely read it."

"Yes." Lucinda said. "But it's complicated. You need a very specific machine, something called a Celestial Cannon, and that, as far as we know, doesn't exist any more."

Yeah. None exist.

Michael proceeds forward, ordering me to stand in the doorway and not let anyone else in. I nod and he goes in, starting to argue with some lab guy. I watch for a minute, hearing comments like "old man" and "middle of cannon" when---

"MICHAEL!"

She whips around, catching some guy with toasty skin, dark hair, and brown eyes as he tries to charge into the room. "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" He demands, fighting me hard.

I shove him back. "You can't be here. Leave now!"

He looks at me and his jaw drops in shock. "Violet?"