Stay With Me

We're gathered in Melissa's room, relaxing. Yesterday had left everybody on edge, but Melissa is trying to get it to go away. She's telling some story to Lucinda, of what I think from when she was just a pup.

Kid! Ugh. Werewolf instincts are annoying. At least I haven't called my nose a snooter out loud yet.

"---I know!" Melissa laughs. "There was a coaster with a bite out of it!"

Kawaii~Chan rushes inside suddenly, panting. "Ladies!" She yells. "I need to talk!"

"Kawaii~Chan?" Lucinda says in surprise. "You look out of breath. Is everything okay?"

"No!" Kawaii~Chan insists.

"No?" I ask, confused.

"Has something happened?" Melissa asks, preparing for the worst.

"NO!" Kawaii~Chan says.

"No." Lucinda repeats.

"YES!" Kawaii~Chan screams.

"Yes?" Aphmau repeats.

"Okay, which is it?" I ask, genuinely confused now.

"Something hasn't happened---but I want something to happen!" Kawaii~Chan explains like it makes total sense. "It isn't bad---it's good!"

"Phew!" The entire room says.

"Then... what is it?" Lucinda asks.

KC sighs. "Okay. So. We were watching the Starlight TV stations, and we saw this commercial for the casino that was under construction! They're going to have a grand opening with a ball and everything! And I---I... Um... I wanted to see... if... maybe, everyone... wanted to go..." Kawaii~Chan's sparkle fades a bit, and she looks down at the ground, embarrassed.

"Go?" Melissa repeats. "You mean leave here as a group?"

"Yeah..." KC admits. "It's a stupid idea. I was just thinking that maybe everyone could use a little bit of... y'know... a break, from worrying. From the stress of... all of this!"

"Running?" Aphmau says sadly.

"Yeah." Kawaii~Chan says. "Isn't everyone tired of it?"

We all sigh and duck our heads. Melissa looks up first. "Kawaii~Chan, it's a nice thought... But you know why we can't go out. It's far too dangerous."

"I agree." Aphmau says. "As much as I would really want to, this----isn't a vacation anymore."

"It's a nightmare." Kawaii~Chan finishes.

All of us go silent. It's clear we agree with her.

"I--I mean---try to look on the bright side of it." I say. "We're all here together, and no one is hurt."

"Yeah..." Kawaii~Chan says sadly. "So I guess it was just a stupid idea. Right? I mean, there's no way we could go out."

"I'm afraid not, sweetheart." Melissa says kindly.

Kawaii~Chan's eyes grow big and sad, full of unshed tears. "Okay..." She mourns quietly. So much of me wants to go do what she's saying, but our group is too big, too noticeable, and everyone would know the Lycans on sight. Our faces are too... recognizable...

The masks.

"Moving as a group would be dangerous." Aphmau says sympathetically, putting her hand on KC's shoulder. "And what if they're looking for us there? We---"

"Wait." I say. "I'll be right back!" I go to the front door where Zane is still watching TV. "Zane!" He turns. "Watch the door for me!"

"WHAT??" He demands. "You're going BACK OUT? You almost got caught!"