High Heavens

As the Celestial Cannon slowly ascends into the sky, Michael grins and turns to the assembly of people staring at him.

His sly smile splits open. "Gentlemen... we have succeeded."

Slowly, clapping starts. Very, very hesitantly. I notice Zach has a haunted shadow in his face, and he doesn't clap. But I do, hating every sound of it.

Michael stares appreciatively at his relic. "Come, Violet. And you!" He points to a redheaded lab technician. "You know where to meet me" He walks up the walkway slowly, and I turn to follow him from the room. I hear the people arguing behind us, but Michael just walks calmly holding the flaming ball in his hands. As we're walking, She mostly focuses on the aromas near her, but I know better.

I smell something.

Ignoring Her for a moment, I take a deep breath. I know you.

I KNOW this smell. For a moment, I can't place it among the sterile, burnt environment of the Cannon, but after a moment I catch of whiff of... something. It smells of plastic toys... and cupcakes...

Zane.

My heart leaps in my throat as I sniff out other smells, nearer and nearer I feel to them as I smell the smoke and acid from Lucinda's potions, the dessert-and-cat fur smell from Kawaii~Chan, the ethereal, dead smell from Ghost and the slight scent of bleach from her hair and gold on her necklace from Kim.

And then I catch a scent that makes a sob build up in my throat.

I smell wet fur, purple dye, and the scent of pumpkin-spice lattes. And there's only one person I know who smells like that. 

Aphmau. 

The realization hits me like a bolt of lightning. Aphmau is alive!!! APHMAU IS ALIVE!!

I'm so elated that I almost don't notice that I also smell a strange amount of green magic around them, and something that reminds me of an explosion...

Oh.

Terry. I smell Terry.

"Here we are, Violet." Michael suddenly says, snapping me out of it and directing me inside a wide, elegant room full of white columns and blue designs on the floor meeting into a circle in the center of the room.

Michael strides into the room. "Over there." He points, and I take my place by a door. "Let no one inside." He instructs, and I nod. My heart pumps in my body. What are my friends doing here?? How is Kawaii~Chan all right? How is Aphmau ALIVE? Why are they here??

At least I know they're all alright for now.

Unless... they got captured. Did they get captured?? No. No, no, no. This can't have happened. They have Lucinda to defend them, and Aphmau now!

Michael moves forward, his gaze fixed on the glowing orb that used to be Derek Lycan. "This entire situation is a complete mess." He murmurs. "Years of planning foiled when you decided to try and be a father... So much planning---WASTED!" He gives a small grin at the ball and laughs easily. "No matter. It just seems like I'll have to do things... the hard way."

He focuses on the relic, and it slowly starts to shine with a red sheen, flaring in the room. Michael presses it to his chest. Slowly, it flares so bright I have to blink, and then it's suddenly gone. All that remains is a faint pink glow, and even then it disappears within a second.

He put Derek's relic inside himself.

I want to lunge forward, scratch Michael's eyes out, but I don't have to. Michael suddenly groans in pain, falling heavily to one knee, the glow coming back bright as the sun, pulsing like a heartbeat. Michael laughs through his pain.