12. Secret

Got a secret, can you keep it? Swear this one you’ll save

Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave

If I show you then I know you won’t tell what I said

Cause two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Jason

            “So would it be weird if I asked you to spend the night with me?” I looked over at Harley who was sitting in the passenger seat next to me. I was dropping her off at her house. Alice had texted me, said the movie was over and they were already on their way home.

            “It wouldn’t be weird. I’ll talk to Alice about it.” I could tell my answer made her uncomfortable. “What’s wrong?”

            Her cheeks turned a slight shade of red as she spoke, “Do you always talk to Alice about everything?”

            “Mostly. She’s my family; I have to let her know what’s going on, even if I can’t tell Joi or Adam. I try to tell them as much as I can. Why?”

            “Well I don’t know . . .” she trailed off, looking out the window at the passing forest.

            “Come on tell me,” I grabbed her hand, bringing her attention back inside the car.

            “It’s just, it’s kind of embarrassing you know.” She mumbled.

            I smiled over at her, trying to keep my eyes on the road, “Why is it embarrassing?”

            “Because, its like she’ll know that like you’re gonna be here and it’ll just be weird knowing that she knows and just ugh.” I tried my best not to laugh at her, but a small laugh escaped. She slapped my chest with her other hand. I tried my best to look offended and hurt but I still kept laughing. “Fine you know what, I don’t want you to come over. Just drop me off and go back home.” She looked out the window again.

            I composed myself and pulled over. Grabbing her body effortlessly, I undid her seatbelt and shifted her till she was on my lap, her legs resting across the middle console. I wrapped my arm around her waist and put my other one on her neck. She turned to me, resting her head on my shoulder.

“I’m sorry I laughed sweetie. I just found it a little humorous. Alice doesn’t care, she would probably be very happy about it. She likes you and she’s rooting for our relationship as much as I am.” I pushed her away a little bit, lifting her up so that she could see my face. “You have nothing to be embarrassed about. I have to tell her about it, I need to know that she’s prepared to take care of Joi and Adam if anything happens.”

            “Yea I guess I didn’t think about that. It’s just different for me, I’ve never been in this type of situation before.”