Chapter Six

I see Elijah peeking through the window as we round the corner, heading to the Jones’ front door. Their dog, now barking that monstrous bark of his, is beside him.

“They’re here!” Elijah shouts excitedly. “They’re here!” He disappears, but reappears at the door he has just opened. One by one, the volunteers file into the house and get to work immediately. It seems that there’s not much for me to do, as there are already so many helping hands.

“What, do you need an invitation to start working? Are you afraid to get your dainty little hands dirty, Princess?”

“Don’t call me that!” I reply, resisting the urge to deck him. “You’re the one acting like a princess! What work are you doing while we slave away in your mansion, Beast?”

“You’re certainly not Beauty,” Chase retorts, crossing his arms.

“I certainly hope not, because I know how that ends!”

“Break it up, you two,” Miss Riley says firmly. “Abby, you have dish detail. Chase, I need to speak with you for a moment.”

“Ooh, Chase is in trooouble!” Emily says, obviously intrigued. “What did he do Miss Riley?” She does not answer, but leads Chase far into the hallway.

I go into the kitchen and open the dishwasher, finding that it is completely full. I’m halfway done putting them away when a voice from behind startles me.

“I’m sorry,” Chase mumbles unconvincingly, not looking me in the eyes.

“Very convincing, Chase,” I reply sarcastically. “I’m surprised Broadway isn’t knocking down your door.”

Returning my glare, he says in a half-whisper, “This isn’t over, ABC.”

♥ • ❤ • ♥

“Mmm! This is really good!” Sierra says.

“I wish I owned this place,” I say, agreeing. “I love Parkesdale Farm Market. Mandy, you don’t want anything?”

“I… I can’t afford it.”

Frowning, I get up from the table. “I’ll be right back.” I walk over to the line that appears eternally long, and wait for about five minutes before finally making it to the counter. The people behind it seem busy and a little stressed, but are still very pleasant. I understand why they seem stressed. They have lots of business, and that’s no surprise! I overheard someone saying that they get customers from all over the world! Even a few presidents have been here. “I’d like a strawberry milkshake and two shortcakes please.”

“Okay, coming right up,” a Spanish lady says with a warm smile.

I pay the amount due and then receive my order. On my way to our table in the back, I struggle with carrying all three things at once. I nearly drop the items several times, but then something I was not expecting – at all – happens.

“Here, let me help you.”

“Uh… What’s the catch?”

“Not everything is about you,” Chase says harshly. Darkly, he continues, “It’s better not to ask.”

“Okay, then.”

 We place two of the three dessert items on the table in front of Mandy, and her face instantly brightens.

“Thank you so much, Abigail!”

“My pleasure!” I turn to Chase and awkwardly say, “Thanks for helping me back there.”

“With your track record,” he replies arrogantly, “I’m sure it won’t be the last time I’ll have to rescue you.”

“You’re such a pompous pig.”

Chase grabs his chest, makes a pained expression and says, “Gosh, I’m so hurt…”

“I washed my hair with poison this time,” I say sarcastically, “so watch it.”

“Oh, is that what that awful smell is?”

“No, it’s your stink attitude!”

The two of us go our separate ways without another word, and I return to Mandy and Sierra while he returns to his siblings.

I eye Mandy curiously as she drinks her milkshake. “Mandy, do you think you’d like to come over for a sleepover tonight?”

“I’d love to, but I’ll have to check with my mom. Thanks for inviting me.” She laughs nervously as she goes on to say, “I don’t get invited to places that often…”

“I can hardly believe that,” I reply. “You have such a sweet personality!”

“There aren’t that many people who don’t judge a book by its cover.”