A New Listener

Legolas took another step into the clearing, confusion swirling in his mind as Sîrion stared at him in shock.

"Oh, uh, Legolas. I did not know you were there," Sîrion's ears were turning red, his eyes wide as he stumbled to stand.

"Who were you talking to?" The question was burning in the prince's mind, and it left his lips before he thought to catch it.

The other swallowed thickly, opening his mouth to respond before abruptly closing it. He looked around the clearing, hands beginning to fidget with his sleeves, "Myself is all," He gave a tense smile, "I tend to mutter to myself when alone."

Legolas nodded, though he hardly believed it, "I... Sîrion, you were speaking in...well, I believe is an elvish, I could not understand," He sighed softly, taking a step forward, "You sometimes react as if there is noise or talking when there has been none... besides, you were just talking as if in conversation rather than simply speaking to yourself," Legolas shifted, feeling like he was prying but it wasn't as if he could continue to let the curiosity swirl. Even just acknowledgement would satisfy him enough to ask more another day, if Sîrion wished.

The silence was broken by Sîrion sighing, meeting the prince's gaze for a moment. The small, tense smile returned, "Nothing gets past you, my Prince," His voice shook slightly despite the slight teasing lace within it.

Legolas glared at him softly for the use of his title, but his chest fluttered at the familiarity of it. Despite the momentary relief, the worry for his friend quickly came bubbling back. It was largely the fact that he hadn't the slightest clue about what could be going on, combined with how little he had seen Sîrion the past few weeks. Legolas chewed his cheek, wracking his brain to ask something else in hopes that changing the subject might make both of them more comfortable before he pressed for what Sîrion could be hiding again.

"Let's sit," Sîrion sighed, gesturing to where he was previously leaning against a tree.

Legolas nodded, quickly taking a seat. His heart was nearly beating out of his chest, rather on edge as to how this conversation would go, though he didn't quite know why. He knew Sîrion wouldn't be outright angry over such a little question. He had prodded the other with questions plenty of other times and had received, at most, a tense half-smile in protest.

"I do not know where to start," Sîrion muttered, his hand tapping nervously on the ground.

Legolas smiled softly, placing his hand over Sîrion's in the hope that it might calm his nerves... he quickly found it helped his own, "Take your time," The prince said gently, happy that Sîrion was even considering telling him without much persuading, "I just... want to help... if that is what is need."

He had no idea if help would be needed but figured it couldn't hurt to offer. He ran his thumb along Sîrion's knuckles to focus on fiddling and looking at the other's hand rather than staring at him expectantly. He would hate to make Sîrion feel pressured.

"I assure you, there is nothing that needs help. I do appreciate your kind words, though," Sîrion smiled warmly, glancing down at the prince, "I have told very few people in my life, let alone in the last millennia... it is difficult to know how to phrase it, I suppose."

Legolas nodded in understanding, his thumb brushing over Sîrion's knuckles again. The other took a shaky breath, looking away as the prince looked up. Sîrion was chewing his cheek, eyes darting around the forest in front of them. Legolas merely waited, wishing he could say or do something that would make it easier or at least less nerve-wracking for Sîrion. Still, his mind wondered as he waited. He tried to wrap his head around the language the other was speaking, comparing the bits that were familiar to what he knew in Sindarin, though it did little to make sense of any words. Sîrion cleared his throat, "Can you promise you will not think I am mad?" He asked, his eyes trained forward as if the tree across from them was particularly interesting.