15 ▪︎ QUATERVOIS

"Thank you, Yoongi." Anais sniffs, taking the warm mug of soup from Yoongi's hands. She tugs the blanket further around her shoulders and curls into a smaller ball on the sofa.

"You're welcome, honey." Yoongi wipes his hands on the dish towel draped over his shoulder. "Do you need anything else?"

Anais sips the soup with an appreciative hum. "No. I think I'm okay for now."

Yoongi heads back to the kitchen to clean the mess he made while fixing Anais lunch. "What time is your doctor's appointment?"

"Two-thirty. This soup is fabulous by the way."

Yoongi chuckles to himself. "Thank you and I'm glad you finally made a doctor's appointment. I was starting to think you enjoyed being sick."

"I don't enjoy being sick but I do enjoy your soups." Anais winks.

What began as sniffles and a few body aches here and there for Anais had grown to nausea and vertigo over the past month. Not one that ever enjoyed a visit to the doctor, she continually put off the much needed phone call to fix her ailment.

Yoongi protested profusely. Through his eyes, Anais grew worse and worse day by day and week by week without treatment her sickness exacerbated. In his gut he believes he knows why Anais feels the way she does.

After grand intimate steps between he and Anais four months ago, Yoongi had a change of heart. He never dreamed his change of heart would save Anais' life.

The evening he left Anais, he returned a few hours later to find her shrunken in the corner of her kitchen bleeding on the linoleum and bruised over much of her small frame. Her body intensely shook vibrating the lower cabinet doors.

Anais screamed in agony at Yoongi's touch, pulling away and fighting against his aid. Insisting he was there only to help, Yoongi persisted unwilling to give up on the once again broken woman.

The police were called, an investigation launched, and any progress Anais achieved in her personal life shattered.

Guilt consumed Yoongi. Had he stayed, Yoongi could have stopped the demon from Anais' past from destroying their future.

Hushed doctor voices retold the extent of Anais' physical injuries. She had a concussion as a result of repeated impact to her kitchen cabinets. Most of her body was covered in hand shaped bruises from her attacker and cuts from flailing about in her attempts to get away.

The worst of Anais' injuries brought Yoongi to tears. Anais was violently and brutally sexually assaulted more than once by the same man that destroyed her the first time.

All Yoongi had was a name and that was all he needed. After calling in a few favors, he tracked down the attacker's address propping himself up nearby to study the devil's comings and goings.

Yoongi found a photo of this Jungkook person responsible for breaking his Anais yet again. It was hard to refrain from stabbing out Jungkook's eyes in the picture, but he needed it for a positive match.

Three months passed with only one person entering or leaving the address. A woman with deep brown skin and black hair reaching her mid-back was regularly seen like clockwork daily.

Nearly ready to give up and search elsewhere, Yoongi thought he caught a break. One particular day the woman arrived in the afternoon and happily skipped to her front door. A minute later she reappeared followed by a male with dark hair in a bun and a full beard.

Yoongi glanced back and forth between the photo and the man as the couple packed in what appeared to be a box containing a baby crib and a few other infant necessities.