𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

"A cemetery, really?" Reggie deadpanned once he stepped foot out of the van.

The group ignored him, Alec speaking. "Whose grave is it?"

"Mary Milligan," Isabelle offered the response. "Born January 10th, 1802. Died January 10th, 1878."

"All right, Alec, Reg, let's go."

"Wait, what are we looking for?" Clary asked.

"Cache of weapons," Cassiopeia answered. "Stashed here with Mrs. Milligan."

"Why are there Shadowhunter weapons in a churchyard?" Clary asked again.

"Because all of the ancient religions recognized demons," Isabelle explained. "Or at least they used to."

"They forgot about the threat because we've been here to protect them," Alec said. "Typical mundane failure of imagination."

"There is just no pleasing you, is there?" Regulus asked the Lightwood boy.

"Are you saying we did too good a job?" Isabelle questioned while laughing. "You just can't let up, can you?"

"You know what?" Jace spoke. "Alec, why don't you go check out by the angel?"

Alec said nothing and walked away, Cassiopeia watching his retreating figure. Isabelle saw the look on the girl's face and dragged her away.

"Are you going to tell me what is going on with you and my brother?"

"It's a long story."

"Come on," Izzy groaned. "You guys keep dancing around each other. You have been for years! Just tell him how you feel."

"Izzy, I already have."

"What?!" Isabelle's jaw dropped.

"Yeah," Cassie sighed and continued looking. "A while ago. He told me he feels the exact same way."

Isabelle looked taken aback by the confession. "And? You two are together now?"

"Nope," Cassie sighed again. "Told me we couldn't be together."

"That's it?"

"Yep."

"I'll kill him."

"Please do."

Isabelle's phone chimed. "Excellent, he's home." She told the group. "I'm outta here."

"Wait, aren't you coming with us?" Clary asked her.

"Oh, I wouldn't miss it for the world, but I gotta find out how to get to the vampires' lair."

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do." Jace offered.

Cassie snorted from behind him. "Fat chance."

"Jace!" Alec called for the blond from Regulus's side. "Over here."

"Yeah, coming."

Cassiopeia made her way to Alec's side, who stiffened at her presence. Reggie shook his head and sighed.

"You two are impossible."

"Shut up." They retorted simultaneously. Reggie groaned.

Jace reached the people he grew up with. Alec sighed.

"We're crossing into vamp territory," Alec said.

"Yeah, that's the point," Jace remarked. "Come on, Alec, cheer up. It's going to be fun."

"Damn it, Jace, just... think this through." Alec sighed. "You don't even like this guy. This isn't about the mundane, this is about Clary."

"Wish I could say he's wrong," Cassie spoke from between the two.