The Beauty of Running in Circles [XIII]

"So, everyone's ready? On my mark", Elena looked at her best friends underneath her eyebrows, trying to keep a straight face. "Ready... Set... Go!", she shouted while Caroline, Anna and Lydia grabbed their dresses and rushed to try them on.

For the first time in a long time, the Salvatore mansion was flooded with joy and laughter. While the girls were doing their thing upstairs, Damon sat himself at the dining table with a cup of coffee and today's newspaper. The door shutting open interrupted his line of thoughts as he got his head out of the paper "Are there any more of you?", he mumbled while rolling his eyes.

"The one and only, I'm afraid", Enzo chuckled as he made an entrance. "Oh, don't look so disappointed, were you expecting someone else more interesting than your old fellow cellmate whom you left to die in a fire?", he smirked as took a seat next to Damon.
"No! I'm actually thrilled it is you! We've already got four dancing queens upstairs", Damon pulled his brows together, ignoring the snarky remark.
"You missed me! That warms my heart! And uh, Miss Mystic Falls fever?", he inquired.
"Yup. Anyway, short day today? Did anyone bother you at school? Do you want me to go talk to their parents?", Damon mocked his friend while pouring him some coffee.
"Haha, you really think you're hilarious, huh, mate?", Enzo rolled his eyes. "Actually, there is someone whose parents we should have a chit chat with", he paused, taking a sip.
"I knew it! Someone's gonna get in trouble. Who is it tho?", the older Salvatore rested his palms on his chest as he leaned back on the chair.
"The Whitmore boy. Doesn't it seem just a little bit sketchy that it's been almost two months since I broke out and no one even bothered to find me? Plus I've been right under their noses the whole time", Enzo's lips escaped a sigh as he mimicked his mate's action.
"Well, you do have a point there. You met the boy. Do you think he knows?"
"Honest to God, I haven't got a clue. That one time I encountered him, he was on vervain, so he either knows, or someone's trying to protect him from us", he shrugged.
"Did you ever notice anything odd at the university?", Damon rubbed the back of his neck, trying to make sense of the issue that surfaced.
"No, I don't think so. I've only got one class, so. I suppose I should ask Alaric to keep an eye open for this too. He's the one teaching the Whitmore", Enzo tried to make abstraction of the noise coming from upstairs as he kept sipping down his coffee. "Do you still remember the night we swore we'd get revenge?"
"How can I forget? That night is what kept me alive until I got out. The things we'd do to them, how we'd just sit there and watch as they burned to the ground. Good memories, mate!", Damon's mouth curved into a smirk at the images.
"Well, here we are mate. What's stopping us?", Enzo's grin hid a masochistic desire as old as time itself.
"I'm a changed man, Enzo", Damon caught his breath after taking some time to think it through before replying. "I'm trying to get into Elena's good graces again, I can't just run around killing a bunch of people."
"People? They're not people, Damon. They're monsters! Think about what they did to us!", by the time he learned that Elena was the reason Damon was trying to sabotage their long-lost plan, he couldn't help but raise his voice and throw his fist at the table in annoyance.
"I'll give you this. If the kid knows, we do it. If not, we'll investigate the doctor alone. Deal?", Damon came with a compromise.
"Let's find out then. Ask Elena. She must know something. She's Lydia's friend. Girls talk, don't they?", Enzo managed to calm down as he nodded towards his friend.
"What? Now?", he asked while tapping a fist against the lips lightly while thinking.
"Now", he confirmed.
Damon took his phone out and messaged Elena, as Enzo narrowed his eyes at him. "What? The music is loud and I don't feel like shouting", he shrugged his shoulders, waiting for Elena to climb down the stairs.
"A real 21st-century couple", Enzo ridiculed.

"Oh wow", the older vampire shook his head in awe the second he laid eyes upon her. "You look stunning! Now do a piroue - ", he swallowed the rest of the sentence as he was interrupted by Enzo's growl. "Alright, alright, so the reason I called you down here is to ask you something very important. Top secret. You're friends with this Luke Whitmore, right?", Damon grabbed Elena's hand as she sat in his lap, gazing into her eyes.
"I wouldn't say friends, but I do know him, yes", she tilted her head aside in confusion.
"Have you ever noticed something odd about him? I'm only asking you this because we were trying to figure out whether he might follow in his family's footsteps or not", Damon continued in a somber voice.
"Let me think for a minute", Elena sucked her cheeks in, her eyes drifting onto the ceiling. "I do remember something, in fact. Last Halloween, Lydia was pretty shaken after he showed up at her house in the middle of the night, mumbling a lot of nonsense about his uncle experimenting on people and finding his secret lab or something like that... The next day she said she asked him what the hell was all of that and he told her he was high and the lab was just a Halloween prop to scare trick or treaters", she confessed, sharing a look with her ally, raising eyebrows to convey feelings.
"He knows", the second she finished talking, Enzo connected the dots and made the sudden movement on standing up. Before he could coordinate his legs towards the door, he heard footsteps down the stairs.