Bad's Been Good to Me [V]

"Enough me. Nothing interesting ever happens in a fucking cage, mate. I want to know all about the notorious Damon Salvatore. What have you been up to these decades? But first, I've got an extremely important question for you. Do people still listen to Frankie Sinatra, huh? Strangers in the night? I would've hummed that song to Maggie every dawn right before locking up the place and going home for a good night sleep", Enzo sighed slightly as memories kept flooding his mind. His mimics made it crystal clear that he had a rough time dealing with the freedom he's recently achieved, not knowing what to do with nor how to adjust to modern society.

Damon decided not to tackle the subject of his buddy's internal struggle, but instead make self-deprecating jokes about his own life. "Well, bad's been good to me. I'm walking on sunshine, just look at me! It's the middle of the night and I'm in this shit hole bar, drinking cheap scotch with a freaking revenant", he began telling his life story, taking big sips of alcohol every couple of seconds. "You see, there is something interesting you shall find rather amusing. I suppose you remember Katherine, the love of my life, in my former dreams mother of my children and also my creator, right? If vampires and werewolves weren't enough tormented creatures, we've discovered a new category! And now for the final round, 500 points for Gryffindors, ding ding ding, drum rolls, please... Doppelgangers!"

"Gryffindors? What are Gryffindors? Is that America's national soccer team?", Enzo furrowed his eyebrows, throwing his drunk mate a confused look.

"Seriously, dude? I tell you about doppelgangers and that's where I lost you? At Griffyndors? Gryffindor is Harry Potter's... Well, you know what? Nevermind. I'll lend you the DVD. And before you say anything, don't even dare ask me what a DVD is and let me get back to the doppelgangers. As I was saying, Katherine, love of my life, yada yada yada, Katherine has a doppelganger. Her name is Elena and she's... She's the most disturbingly perfect thing I've ever seen in my life. She's strong and kind, she's also hella smart. She carries people, fuck, she carries me. She's my strength and my weakness at the same time, she's my chaos and my safe place, my sanity and my madness. She's the one keeping me from falling off the wagon. She made me play for the good guys for a change. It's funny 'cause I can't imagine loving her more than I do right now. But I felt that way yesterday, and the day before yesterday, and the day before that. She's just... out of this world", Damon's voice filed with warmth while confessing his love for Elena as he put his arm on Enzo's shoulder and went quiet for a moment. "But we had a huge argument tonight. And I'm sick and tired of having to constantly worry that Stefan's just going to steal her back when I least expect it."

"Steal her back?", the foreigner inquired, being overwhelmed with confusion throughout the whole monologue.

"Yeah, yeah, when I met her she was Steffy's girl...But some girls just can't resist my good looks, my style and my charm, my unflinching ability to listen to... Taylor Swift."

"Tay..", Enzo attempted to raise yet another question about a reference he didn't understand but he got cut short.

"Don't even!", he shook his finger frenetically with frustration. "Jeez, you need a pop culture 101!"

"Oh, how I miss Frankie", Lorenzo chuckled, "Moving on, this Elena of yours sounds like a keeper. And she's nothing like Katherine if what you've told me is true and you're not only blinded by love and rainbow and butterflies and... and... and stuff."

"Did you just say 'and stuff'? You're such a millennial already, I love it!"

"Hey, don't mock me, I haven't gotten the chance to practice my people skills since you've left me all alone to die.", Enzo shrugged.

"You're playing the me betraying you card again? Seriously? That' all you've got?", Damon shoved his face in his palms, growling in annoyment.

"Well, I've got plenty more where that came from. But I guess I'll save the burns for another time. How about a little midnight snack and after that, we call it a night?"

"I think I've got a bag of Doritos in my car's glove compartment, we could even make a picnic and get tan in the moonlight. Oh and tomorrow morning we could get manis and pedis whitelist drinking cosmos!", Damon winked at his mate, wearing his signature cocky smirk.

"You, my good sir, you are bunkers!", the younger vampire shook his head, inhaling deeply. Turning his back on Damon, not even peeking an eye around the room to see if it has emptied meanwhile, he jumped over the counter and touched the pretty bartender's shoulder in order to get her attention. Once she was facing him, Enzo gently started caressing her hair with a cordial smile upon his face. "Oh, love, when the lovely gentleman across the bar and I are going to be done with you, you will walk straight home, pack your bags and you will leave this monstrous city behind. First thing in the morning, you will go to the train station, get the first train and start a new happy life far away from this madness. "

Song: Bad's Been Good to Me [5]
https://youtu.be/Anqwf9ITSyI

-For R.F-