Side Trip

Edmund's Point of View.

Peter immediately immerses himself in a conversation with Caspian to talk strategy and Ace meets with the Narnians. She is attacked with hugs and bombarded with greetings and questions from her friends.

She must have been gone for awhile.

How long was she captured by the Telmarines for?

And Prince Caspian recognized her, so why hadn't she mentioned anything?

I follow my siblings down the trail leading to the fort, with Ace and the rest of the Narnians close behind.

I glance back, seeing her happily chatting with Trufflehunter, Reepicheep, Trumpkin, and a fellow dwarf by the name of Nikabrik.

"So? What are they like?" I overhear Trufflehunter ask.

"Malcontents, complainers, stubborn as mules in the morning," Trumpkin replies roughly.

"Oh, sounds just like you," Ace chimes in jokingly.

"So you like them then," Nikabrik states.

"Well enough," Trumpkin clarifies.

"What about you?" Trufflehunter asks.

"I'd say they live up to their names," Ace answers.

Reepicheep joins in. "That's it?"

"I haven't known them for that long."

"C'mon Ace. Trumpkin is not really one to talk."

Trumpkin huffs loudly.

"Fine," she starts, "Well, Lucy is sweet and determined. Always sees the best in people... Susan is gentle, yet protective. Peter is...stubborn."

I chuckle lightly.

He is at that.

"Which can be good," she laughs. "And Edmund..."

I glance to look at Ace, but she's already looking at me with a smirk. I instinctively turn back forward.

She must have known I was going to do that.

"He's caring and clever, and a great swordsman."

I drop my head to hide my smile.

And she said she didn't know much.

They continue to chat about their lives and their plans against the empire.

"We've stolen weapons from the Telmarines and have brought them to the How," I overhear Reepicheep.

"Now we just need a strategy," Trufflehunter adds.

"Have you been living in there trying to decide?" Ace asks.

"Some of us have. I suspect you and the royals will as well?"

"Most likely, but I need a few things."

"Nothing has changed at home, so you can stop by and meet us at the How once you're ready."

"That would be great."

"But you need to go with one of us. Now, I know you can protect yourself but the Telmarines are on high alert now."

"Yes, but that's exactly why it's too big of a risk for any of you to come with me. What if you get captured?"

"Then just take one of the kings or queens. They won't be recognized and can all defend themselves."

"Alright."

I hear her approach and she falls in step with me.

"Hey Edmund?"