Chapter 1: My whole universe would turn upside-down

Riley's POV
"Mmmmmm" I said as I took my last bite of my moms homemade sandwich. "Thanks mommy." I said as I hugged her from behind. She faced me and smiled. "Anytime sweetie. Mind helping out Auggie clean up his toys?" She said as she points to him. I nod and go to the living room.
I kneel down to help him put all of his toys in the toy box. "Riley, what is middle school like?" He asks. "Well as long as you got your best friend by your side, it's all good" I answer him. He smiles and says "Are you my best friend?" "If I wasn't why would I be helping you with these toys?" I ask. he giggled. "I can't wait for middle school!" He exclaimed. "But you should. It's not all fun you know."

"Maya!" She yells in the speaker box. I walk towards it and press a button. "Come on up", I reply. "Riley, be safe, go directly to school and do nothing stupid."My dad said. I smiled. "How could I forget? It's the only thing you tell me." The door busted open. "Ready to go, kiddo?" Ask Maya. I nodded and grabbed my backpack. "Bye mom, later dad, see you soon Auggie!" I yelled as I closed the door.

We started walking to the subway. I was wearing a cute floral dress with some designer black boots. Maya was wearing a bright neon shirt that said light it up along with some normal black leggings and Converse shoes. We were taking on the world. As we finally got out of the apartment, we started walking down the street together.

I heard a strange grumble coming from Maya. I looked at her. "Did you eat breakfast this morning?" She looked down and shook her head. "No I didn't have time." She said coldly. "Maya you have plenty of time, and why did you use the same excuse as yesterday? "She then turned to me. "Do you think it's easy having half of a mom and having a dad who lives miles away? Riley it's not all rainbows and sunshine for me, this is my life." "But it doesn't have to be. I mean, at least you could eat pigeon poop, that's better than nothing!" I exclaimed. She chuckled and smiled. "This is why you're my best friend." She says. "And this is why we belong together."

Once we were on the subway train, I sat next to Maya. "Do you think Lucas will sit next to me today? I asked smiling. She rolled her eyes. "Riley why won't you ask him out already?" I widen my eyes. "Nooooo way. My dad would flip, Farkle would get jealous and my whole universe would turn upside down. Sorry Maya but not a chance." I said. She smirked at me. "But what if he asked you out?" I started to blush. "I-", She raised an eyebrow. "Cmon our stop is here. Let's go!" She says while pulling me up.

Lucas's POV

I sat down in my regular spot right across Farkle. I smiled as Riley and Maya walked in. Sure Riley might be weird and quirky at times, but that's why I like her. Her crush for me was pretty obvious, but I didn't really show my crush to her more often. Maya started walking towards me with a face that shows she has an idea. Oh boy.

"Hey ranger Rick, we need to talk." She said sitting in front of me. "What is it?" I asked. "Ya know how Riley likes you, like, a lot?" I turned to Riley. Her brown hair complimented her floral dress she was wearing along with her black boots. "Hello?" Maya asked. I looked back at her. "Uh,yeah? What about it?" "She turned to see if Riley was listening. "Well, what if you asked her out to make her even happier?" She asked.
Whoa, ask Riley out? I didn't even think of that. Would she say yes? Well of course she would, but why am I nervous? I spoke to Maya. "You think I can?" She raised her eyebrows. "Sure, how hard can it be?"

The bell rang for class to start. Mr. Matthews came up to the front of the class and started teaching. "All right guys, before I start today's lesson. How many of you know the story of Romeo and Juliet coming to the library?" Nobody raised their hands expect for Farkle, of course. "Really? Not even you Riley? I thought you were in the play?" He exclaims. "Well yeah I was in it, but I never understood it!" She said. Same here Riley, same here. Mr. Matthews sighed. "Farkle, help me out here." He stood up.

"Romeo and Juliet was a classical play written by William Shakespeare. It's about a tragic love story with two teens that have feuding families. Eventually they both get married and die. The end!" He said as he sat back down. Yeah, ok.

"Thanks Farkle. But the main idea of the story was how instead of leaving each other to be safe, they never stopped seeing each other, just for love. It shows to not ever give up on someone you love." Maya turned to me and smiled. "What?" I whispered. She pointed to Riley. "Better get her before it's too late Bucky Mc boing boing." She said. I gave her a confusing look, not understanding her. I looked back at Riley and noticed how Jason, the guy sitting next to her, was starring at her.

Oh no he isn't.

I better do something, and I better do something now. I raised my hand. "Yes Mr. Friar?" Asked Mr. Matthews. "May I?" I said. He has a confused look. "May you what?" Riley turned to me. She smiled at me. But I saw Jason smiling at her from behind. You know what? That's it.

I walked up to Riley and smiled. "Riley?" I asked. Her eyes sparkled as she stared at me. "Lucas?" She stated. I took a deep breath. "Will you go out with me?" I asked. Her eyes widened. Farkle's jaw dropped. Maya's face brightened. Mr. Matthews wrinkled his eyebrows. This has to end well.