Chapter 6: Believe me when i say, it meant absolutely nothing to me

Josh's POV

"I saw Maya and Lucas kissing outside."Are the words that made me heart sink, and my face drop.

Lucas kissed Maya? What???? I can't believe he'd do that. He knows I like her, so what's-wait. Did I just say I like Maya? I don't. Do I? I don't care. The point is, he knew I didn't want her to get hurt.

I was sitting there thinking for a long time. Why would he do that? How could he hurt Riley? Does Maya like him back? I hope not. I really hope not.

I checked my phone to see what time it was, and as I did, I wish I didn't.
"11:30?!?" I yelled loudly. Everybody looked up and me with a weird face. I blushed as I sat down sighed. "Cmon Riley lets-" I stopped. Where's Riley? She was in my arms literally a second ago.

I saw Mrs. Hart come up to me. "You ok sweetie?" She asked nicely. I shook my head. "Where Riley?" She gave me a weird look. "She left hours ago, you're just realizing?" She said. How did she leave? She can't leave alone. Did she? Great. Cory's gonna kill me. "Hello?" Katy said as I looked up. "Sorry I was just thinking. I have to go, thank you for everything."

I took my jacket and pushed the door to leave. That's weird, it wouldn't open. I pushed harder. It still won't budge. What's happening? Am I stuck here? Will this door be closed forever? Will I never see Maya again? Will she end up with Lucas? Is Riley even alive? Will she- "Josh? You have to pull." Katy said, stating the most obvious situation.

What's wrong with me? Ever since Riley told me those words (which I won't name) I've been a mess. I pulled the door and thanked Katy one last time.

I started walking to the apartment, since my parents are in Philly, I'm staying with Cory, that is, if Riley's home. How could she leave? All I hope for at this point is if she's ok. As I was about to cross the street I saw a face who's I barely could look at right now.

"Maya?" I said, kinda mad. She look up, shocked. "Josh, wh-what are you doing here?" She said, shaking over the cold air. "Don't worry, I was just leaving, you can go in a corner and just hook up with Lucas there." I started to walk forward until she spoke up.

"What? We never hooked up, we-" "Riley told me everything." I said. Her face fell as she sighed. "Look it isn't what you think Josh." "It isn't what I think? What do you mean? Riley said she saw you two kiss a few hours ago. Why would you do that Maya?" I yelled. She looked up at me. "I'm gonna tell you exactly what I just told Riley, believe me when I say, it meant absolutely nothing to me."

4 hours before

Maya's POV

I knew once he leaned it something bad was gonna happen, and I was correct.

"Why did you do that?" I asked, disappointed. He looked shocked himself. "I want to be with Riley, Maya. I'm sorry if I just confused you." I'm not surprised. Of course he's want to be with Riley. She's perfect, she has it all. "I get it, but you didn't need to kiss me!" I yelled. He took a deep breath.

"Oh my gosh, what about Riley?" He asked. Oh my god. I can't break her heart. Breaking her heart is like hating a puppy, you just can't hate puppies. I looked at Lucas.

"We're gonna have to tell her." I said quietly. He nodded his head. "It's the right thing, but I don't think we should keep it from her too long." I looked back at the diner. "Tell her to meet at her house, it'll be easier in private." I said.

On our way he texted her and went to her stairway. We decided it was best to meet at her window instead of going all the way through her apartment. Plus, we don't want Mr. Matthews to find out. Not long after, Riley came in.

"We need to talk," Lucas said as he took her to her window. She didn't sit, but she was standing. "I don't feel like talking to any of you two at the moment." She said, really seriously. I exchanged puzzled looks with Lucas. "What do you mean?" I asked. She looked at me like I just stated the most obvious question.

"I know what happened, I'm not stupid, and of course, you two can totally be together behind my back, it's not like you guys were my friends." She said, tearing up. I got up and hugged her tightly. She started to cry, and that was my cue. I leaned back and put my hands on her shoulders.

"Riley, listen to me. What happened between me and Lucas meant nothing to me, it meant nothing to him, right Lucas?" We both turned to him. He nodded his head in agreement. "She's right, it meant nothing."

Even though I said those exact words, it just hurts coming from him. I'm not gonna lie, it did mean something to me. That was my first kiss, and even though he wants to forget about it, all I want to do is replay it in my head. Plus, I laid eyes on him first, Riley just suddenly started being her cute self and got his heart. Typical Riley.

"If it meant nothing, why did you even kiss in the first place?" She asked. "Lucas felt really bad for me. I was saying things that were lies about me and he just did it out of pity, right Lucas?" He looked at me strangely. Of course I knew that's why he kissed me, why else would he?

"Uh, yeah, that's why I kissed her. Riley I'm incredibly sorry for this. I understand if you don't want to be friends anymore." He said as he started climbing out the window. When he finally left, we both sat down.

"Can I ever forgive him?" She asked. She leaned her head on my shoulder. "I don't know peaches, it's up to you." I say, lightly patting her head. She finally looks up at me. "Can you do me a favor?" She asks. I smile. "Anything." "Tell Lucas I said I still really like him." She said sighing. I gave her a look.

"You have to do that yourself, promise you'll do that yourself." She raises her eyebrows. "Fine, I will, but you have to leave then." She gets up and points at the window. I scoff. "You're kicking me out?" I say laughing. "It's only fair, you stole my date." She giggles. I squeeze her into a hug.

"Night Riles, and I promise,this won't happen again." I leave the window as I start to go back to the diner.

                   ••••••

"So that's all that happened?" Josh asked. I nod my head. "I'm sorry if you felt upset." I finally say. He shakes his head. "Don't think about it." "So...." I say. "So......" He copies back. "I'm glad we cleared things up." I smile. He smiles back, me too. And hey, I have a question for you. He says. "Shoot, I got 5 minutes." I say, looking at my naked wrist.

"Will you go on a date with me?"