Descriptions

So, I haven't updated in a while, but here's a chapter about something that is hard: descriptions. 

1. Do..........think about what your description is about. Is it a physical description? Is it an emotional description? Is it a description of an action? Based on what it is about, then the flow and speed of it can be determined. 

2. Don't....... do a super straight forward and flat description, almost ever. There are a few exceptions, but please don't do something like this: 

She went to the stove where she'd been boiling spaghetti for her and her family. She picks up the pot. It was super duper hot!!!!!!!!!!!!! She dropped the pot on her foot. She yelled in pain, yet managed to make it a pretty scream. It was very painful. she immediately knows she'd broken it. 

Okay, there is clearly so much wrong with this paragraph. It changes tenses way too much, it has grammatical errors, it has weird parts... and well, it's a really bad description. It's very robotic, and it doesn't let us know much about her emotions or who this person is. So, let's try to fix this up. 

She went to the stove where she'd been boiling spaghetti for her family. Wednesday dinners were always some sort of pasta, as her mother always was able to pick up some sort of pasta at the market when she got off early. Her mother only got off early on Wednesdays, so it was generally a momentous occasion for their family. She tried to make it special, normally, despite their lack of money that was needed to make it special. 

Today she'd used a dollar she'd found on the ground to buy some tomato sauce and she'd stolen some grated cheese. She'd pay for it later, but it was worth it. Her younger siblings, Natalie and Mason, deserved to have something special. 

She picked up the pot, but she'd forgotten her gloves, so the handle was really hot. She shrieked in pain and immediately let the pot go, forgetting the pot was positioned right over her foot. The pot's fall to the ground was broken by the only obstacle there: her foot. She screamed again, but soon switched to cursing herself under her breath. Pain shot through her foot as she shifted in her position. She resigned herself to her fate, then, knowing her foot was likely broken. 

So... I might have gotten a little sidetracked there, but I think it's fairly better than the other one. 

3. Do....... try to make use of figurative language. Figurative language is really useful and totally amplifies your writing. That said, please don't use to much figurative language. 

Sorry, that's it for today. See you next time