All Writings/Stories/Poems/Whatever

1. Do.......have proper grammar. 

This one is simple, but I find it to normally be really annoying when I see some bad grammar. Try to proofread and spell check the best you can, but it's not that big of a deal if you mess up from time to time. 

2. Don't..........have such a long author's note. Sometimes, they tend to be rather annoying. 

Of course, this doesn't apply to necessary author's note. Like if you're taking a hiatus from the story, if you're thanking important people, then totally ignore this. 

But..... if not, please just make sure that your author's notes are preferably short and sweet. Quality over Quantity. Readers don't need to necessarily hear in full detail about your horrible school projects. Maybe just say a quick apology for not updating for a while instead. 

Make it clear that your author's note is different than your actual writing. Make it bold, italicized, or put a line in between  – just make it very very clear.  

And the big no no is to have your Author's not be longer than your story. To me, I think that's a crime. 

3. Do.........consider the point of view you are writing in. And by point of view, I mean third person, second person, first person, and script style(not really a point of view, but used enough to be included here). 

First person is using I, I'm and my. For example: I love swimming. First person is great for hearing the character's inner voice. It's also good for stories that you hear from one or two people's point of view, because sometimes it can get confusing if multiple characters are in first person. 

Second person is using you, your, and you're. For example: You love swimming. To be honest, I don't really use second person very much. Second person is mostly used for in the point of the reader's point of view. It's great for reader x somebody stories, and choose your own adventure stories. Sorry that I can't offer more, because I don't know much about it. 

Third person is using, she/he/they/other pronouns that I'm sorry I don't know, her/him/them/ see my note before, and (insert character's name here). For example: (insert name here) loves swimming. I think this is really good for if you have multiple characters and for a broader perspective. This is the most commonly used point of view. 

Script style is what I call basically a script. For example: 

Apollo: I hate swimming.

Poseidon: How dare you!

I think this is really good for comedy, but maybe not as good for mysteries and drama. This is not a point of view. I repeat, not a point of view. However, it doesn't really fit in any other rules, so it's here. 

Take all of these things into account and carefully select your choice. 

4. Don't......recklessly choose the perspective you are writing in. And by perspective, I mean which character is the one telling the story. 

Make sure to choose this one wisely. Sometimes, if you do this in a character that doesn't really know what's going on, then there can be a bunch of foreshadowing and suspense. If you do it in the voice of a character who knows everything, then the readers may finally get to know everything! Think about the scene, and who's perspective would be best for it. 

That's it for today! Notice how my words are bolded(haha using my writing tips myself). Anyway, I really hope this doesn't offend you at all. Let me know if it's too critical!