Lucifer (2016) S02E06 "Monster"

Season two episode six of Fox’s hit series Lucifer opens with a zombified wedding ceremony that quickly takes a turn to the dark side after the groom is shot. The guests think this is part of the monster-themed ceremony until the bride also takes a bullet to the chest. Their laughter turns to screams as the bride dies before finishing her vows.

Lucifer (Tom Ellis) is partying hardy at Lux, going from woman to woman and drink to drink. Dr. Linda (Rachael Harris) shows up and she’s worried because Lucifer – for the first time ever – cancelled their session. He explains it’s because of a little family drama, telling her his brother (not Amenadiel) died. She says this might be when he needs to talk the most and he moves in for a kiss, saying that’s what he actually needs. Dr. Linda, showing an immense amount of will power, stops his romantic advances. She reminds him she’s there if he needs to talk. Lucifer’s done with her, saying she’s killing his buzz and that she just thinks he talks in metaphors all the time anyway.

Chloe (Lauren German) is busy decorating for Halloween while Trixie (Scarlett Estevez) is having fun in Maze’s sex swing. Chloe puts the kibosh on the sex swing and Maze (Lesley-Ann Brandt), pissed off after having been told she could bring her furniture, tells Chloe she doesn’t like her Halloween decorations. Maze loves Halloween (masquerade orgies, sex parties, etc.) but not Chloe’s version of Halloween. They have a stare-off and then come to the joint conclusion living together was probably a bad idea.

Out at the zombie wedding crime scene, Dan (Kevin Alejandro) tells Chloe the bride was Peggy Russo, a movie make-up artist. The weapon was probably a rifle and no one at the wedding party saw the shooter. Chloe thinks it’s strange the killer just winged the groom with his first shot but hit the bride dead center with his second.

As Chloe’s interrogating the groom in the ambulance, a very drunk Lucifer shows up looking disheveled and burping. The groom says Peggy was amazing, smart, and funny, and that’s when Lucifer spots a devil’s food cake with a brain (made of cake) on top. He cuts himself a slice of the wedding cake and Chloe stops him, telling him he’s late and he’s eating evidence. She asks if he’s drunk and he says he’s not because of his supernatural metabolism, which prompts him to pour himself a glass of champagne. He thinks everyone at the crime scene looks dead…obviously he’s not in the mood for this…and Chloe tells him the bride took a bullet to the chest. He wonders why the shooter didn’t go for the head since that’s how you kill a zombie and then pours another glass of champagne. He claims to want to work the case, saying, “Every killer must be punished,” and Chloe warns him he’s got to calm down and pull himself together.

After Chloe walks away, Lucifer asks the bridesmaids which of them wanted the bride dead. He points out their flaws that undoubtedly the bride had also pointed out, and one of the bridesmaids begins crying. That’s the one Lucifer targets with his special power and she confesses she wanted to ruin Peggy’s wedding because she was perfect. The bridesmaid reveals she told Peggy’s ex-boyfriend the location of the wedding, and now she thinks he showed up and killed Peggy and it’s all her fault. Lucifer tells her she’s beautiful and they start making out. Chloe tries to pull them apart and Lucifer says, “Call me,” as he’s being yanked away from the woman’s mouth.

Back at the station, Chloe lets Lucifer know he’s acting completely inappropriately. Even Dan knows there’s something off about Lucifer, but Chloe thinks this is different than his usual weirdness. As Dan and Chloe talk, Lucifer spots the ex-boyfriend, Jason, looking all smug in the interrogation room. Lucifer rips the handles off the doors and flashes his Devil eyes. No matter how much Dan and Chloe pound on the door, Lucifer won’t open it. Jason is now on the floor, cradling his knees and sobbing like a baby.

Chloe finally makes Lucifer leave the room, and Lucifer declares the ex is innocent. Lucifer didn’t lay a finger on Jason; he’s crying over Peggy, not because Lucifer tortured him. Lucifer got all the details, down to the fact Jason left and couldn’t watch the wedding because he was too upset and has a wedding musician with a guitar case as an alibi. Chloe thinks that’s weird because they booked a DJ, and Lucifer insists the crying ex isn’t lying. Chloe thinks the musician was the shooter. She relays the info to Dan, and says she needs to interrogate Jason again about the musician’s description. Lucifer’s happy with himself over getting the info and Chloe yells at him, again, for doing something inappropriate. If he does it once more, that will be the end of the crime-fighting team of Chloe and Lucifer.