69 Day Warranty | 20

H a r r y

It had been one year and 10 days since I had last spoken to my mum. Our last conversation was powered by a high of anger, and it ended with feelings of distraught. It started because of my actions, and it ended with my mum walking away, disappointed.

We hadn't even seen one another since.

"Your mom called."

My mind couldn't seem to grasp the very thought of it - but then again, hearing from her was bound to happen sooner than later.

I gulped and hastily stood up. My feet had a mind of their own as they brought me up to the door to leave. But even if I would get out of the bedroom, I'd have no idea where to go.

"Do you at least want to hear what she said?" Elliot inquired softly from behind me.

I froze in my tracks with my hand hovering over the door handle.

Slowly, I took it down to my side and turned around at the same pace, only to see her concerned attention trained on me. Elliot immediately took my silence as a 'yes,' and cleared her throat to speak; "she asked to speak to you. She sounded happy but I could tell that she really, really misses you."

She missed me? Even if I tried I knew it would be impossible to believe that.

"H-how did you talk to her?" My voice was shaking.

"Oh," Elliot scrambled messily off the bed and faced her back to me, only to bend down to the side table and pull out something from the drawer. It was small and shiny.

Turning my way, she took a few steps towards me and outstretched her hand. It was my cell.

"You left your phone, and I heard it ringing..." Elliot was blushing.

I slowly reached out and gently took my phone from her hand, and unlocked it. She was right. In bolded letters it showed Elliot's call with my mom - and it's duration. 47 minutes.

They spent 47 minutes talking to each other... about what?

I shook my head, still trying to piece everything together.

"So... my mum called and you ate off my foot?" I questioned.

She made a look of disgust. "Ugh, please." She shivered, "don't remind me."

I opened my mouth to ask her why she thought that was necessary, but decided against it when I saw the strange look of embarrassment in her eyes. She laughed uneasily as my lips opened, closed and reopened multiple times before I finally asked the question on my mind.

"It says that you spoke for almost 50 minutes." My words were spoken slowly as I tried to hint at where I was going.

She grinned at me, a sudden change in her emotion. "Yeah, we talked about a lot."

"Like?" It seemed like the more Elliot spoke - the more questions came into mind.

"Oh! Uhm, we talked about how cute you are, your interview, the food she makes and how you were handling the interview." Elliot confessed with ease, in a way that didn't appear to be like she was confessing anything. But her fingers that were entangled with the hair at the base of her neck said otherwise.

I tired to ignore they spoke about 'how cute I was' as it made me feel uneasy, and shook my head.

"No, yeah." I fumed while putting my phone back in my pocket. "It's cool...that's cool. I'll just uh..." what was I saying? "I'll just uh, call her back later."

Lie.

That was a lie.

A wholesome, undeniable lie.