69 Day Warranty | 08

H a r r y

            When I was sitting back in my desk in year 2, I remember my teacher specifically giving us a lecture that lasted half an hour, all about how peer pressure made you look stupid. Not to the people necessarily making you do something, but to yourself when you look back. For an example, she had told us about how she had got pregnant with her first child when her partner at the time peer pressured her into having sex with him.

It was disgusting for my six-year-old self to hear. Even though I had no idea what the fuck she was talking about – I mean, who says the word “sex” and “pregnant” in a year 2 classroom? – Looking back, it made me cringe.

And as I was slowly taking this car out of it’s parking space in reverse, I couldn’t help but think of how much of a waste those thirty minutes were.

“How about we play a little game?” Cheerfully, Elliot spoke from beside me.

From the back of the black sedan, I could hear all three of the boys groan.

“Like what?” Asked Louis. Even though I couldn’t see him, I could imagine him running his fingers through his hair like he always did when he was stressed.

Before Elliot could answer him with an idea that I am sure none of us have ever heard of, I blanked out completely.

The amount my hands were shaking on the wheel was unreal as I exited the hotel parking lot. It took all of my concentration to press on the gas just the right amount, which was why I tried my best not to listen to their conversation. I was going at the pace of a turtle as I advanced forward on the freeway. Suddenly, a car zoomed past me making me nearly jump out of my seat belt. Fuck. If I crash, I’m blaming Elliot.

“Earth to Harry,” Elliot’s voice cut from my deep concentration. I felt a hand being placed on my outstretched arm, just on my bicep.

I didn’t dare to look over at E, as I intended to keep my eyes strictly on the road. I could feel my muscle tightening under her touch as she softly stroked my skin. The gesture was random – very sudden.

Trying to bring myself back, I grunted.

“We were just wondering what place you have in mind? You know, where do you want us to go?” She asked, removing her hand just as fast she placed it.

I shrugged, mindlessly turning on my right indicator and turning.

“Okay, to the wilderne–”

I cut her voice out, and continued driving.

The tress outside were getting thicker – completely the opposite to the lack of cars that were visible. They were decreasing as I went on forward. It took me a few minutes to realize that the ground, which I was driving on, was very rocky.

A back road.

Immediately, by breath started to get shorter. My chest started to constrict and my grip on the wheel became tighter. Much tighter. It felt as if my knuckles were going to emerge from their skin. A snake slithering out of it’s old shedding. I was starting to panic.

A deep darkness lit the air when I felt the impact of my hangover came at in my full speed. My vision was blurred and I had come to no clue to where I was heading. No memory of the night before came into mind. This early in the morning, I didn’t care for the previous nights rowdy mishaps. If there were any.

It came to me, that I was in the busy city of Cheshire. My body was peeled from the side of which ever building I was leaning against. It was either early in the morning, or late in the night. I felt groggy as I saw that I was alone. People went past me, not giving me a second glance as I was hiding in between two buildings.