Chapter 43: Staying Safe

When Mariana was fully better and able to get out of the house, she went to Zumba again to relieve some of the aches and pains that ran down her body. She could hardly wait for this day to come as being sick of salmonella was a horrible experience. One she hoped she would never have to experience again.

She sat on the bench and began tying her shoelaces. Some of the other people that were already there were chatting and she could hear some distant shouting which made her smile. It was so nice to be in this studio again, as she needed to get rid of some leftover sadness caused by her sickness.

Not too far, Amell strolled across on the beige-lit floor toward her. His skinny, olive-toned arms swaying on each side of his tall body.

"Hello Mariana," he said. He had a simple but warm smile as his raven black hair was slicked back with gel, showing off his well-structured face. He was surprised to see her after she had been absent for so long.

"Oh hi." She looked up at his sudden greeting. She was too focused on her shoes that she didn't even see him come over until his shadow towered over her.

"Where have you been?" He asked, his time soft and full of concern since it was unlike her to miss so many sessions.

"I've been sick, that's why I haven't been coming in."

"Oh I'm sorry, how are you feeling now?" He bent down a little towards her, his voice soft and genuinely concerned for her.

"Better, thanks."

"That's good." He patted her back as a way to comfort her, he was happy to hear that she was doing well.

"So, are you going to do anything else after Zumba?" He asked out of curiosity.

"Um no, might just get a snack and go home," she said as she still felt like she wanted to rest after having a workout.

"Oh okay, is that what you usually do?"

"Yeah, I guess so." She shrugged, thinking over how simple her weekend routine was. There was not much she did on a Sunday. Oh well, that's how she usually liked it, a way for her to relax and lay back before she got up for work the following morning.

"What about you? You going to do anything afterward?" She asked, straightening her back to face him properly.

"Well after Zumba, I'll be going on a short little walk before heading home."

"Oh nice, do you prefer walking or driving?"

"Walking. I like the exercise and I usually go out jogging in the morning."

"You mean you wake up early in the morning just to go jogging?" Mariana said, her voice went slightly higher, laced with disbelief.

"Yeah, it helps wake my body up and get ready for the day."

"Oh wow, I can never do something like that. I'm way too lazy."

Amell chuckled and scooted an inch closer to Mariana as she finished her laces. This conversation was very nice and he hoped they can have more like this in the future.

Once Mariana got in line, Amell stood in front of the big group and started playing the music. It had a smooth rhythm to it as he started spinning slowly for the warm-up. He raised his arms, turning his hands, making everyone copy his actions.

Once the Zumba music got more upbeat, they changed up their movements, moving towards the side with their arms moving like waves. Mariana made a couple of steps forward and backward in an alternate pattern. She twirled around like a ballerina, feeling all her muscles crack which made her feel extremely good.