Chapter 50: Aspen

The first morning in Aspen, Mariana and Micah decided to have breakfast in one of the nearby restaurants. The sun's mellow light was like a midst within the snowy fog, giving off a faint, minted glow.

Mariana got dressed in a cotton sweater, warm leggings, and black sneakers. She had packed her Chanel purse and put the gold chain around her arm, giggling a little as she felt so happy because she loved the glossy black look.

She watched Micah on the other side getting ready in a black sweater, blue jeans, and sneakers.

They put on their hats and Mariana had on pink mittens. She patted Micah's cheeks lightly with them. He grinned and then looked down as he noticed that she currently wore the necklace he brought her recently, along with her mother's which was a bit further up. It suited her and the two circles attached looked like an infinity sign. Well, that's how much he loved her, to infinity and beyond.

"Come, let's go." He grabbed his coat and put the hood over the durag he had tied on.

He opened the front door and they held hands as they walked along the sleeted grass. The air was cold and dry. They could see their breaths escaping out their lungs as it rushed up into the sky.

They went downtown and into a little cafe in the corner. They sat near the window where a spiderweb resembled a snowflake, with frozen raindrops scattered all over the net. A crystal rainbow could be seen when the sun's rays glistened upon it like a gentle gloss.

Mariana ordered pancakes which came out fresh and steamy, with maple syrup drizzled on top and sloping down the sides. Meanwhile, Micah got some bagels, baked croissants, stuffed with juicy bacon, and coffee.

They started eating and having a taste of hot food felt so nice to Mariana. She sipped her hot chocolate, some of the whipped creams sneakily slid their way into her mouth.

"Mariana you got a little something..." Micah said, pointing to her lips.

"Hm?" She felt around her mouth and realized she had a little mustache made by the cream. She licked it off and laughed out of embarrassment.

He chuckled and wiped some off her nose. She continued eating and then glanced over at this croissant which made her mouth water.

"That looks nice. Can I see how it tastes?" She asked, pointing at his plate.

"Sure." He broke a piece off and gave it to her. She popped it into her mouth and started chewing. It was very delicious and made her eyes light up as she could taste the bacon.

"Here try some of this." She ripped off a part of her pancake and handed it over. He ate some as the syrup made his hands grubby and sticky, but he loved the smooth taste.

They kept feeding each other bits of the other's food and also taking pictures for memories.

When they had finished, they went out and explored around the town. They saw a fountain that squirted out rows of water from the ground. It looked like they were performing a show and Mariana certainly enjoyed it. She stuck her hands in and it was icy cold.

Her eyes then traveled upwards as she got a good view from the distant hilltops of the mountains that were laid with valleys of trees and paths that meandered between. Snow began gracefully falling from the sky, the wind carried them around, making them swirl around like sycamore leaves in the fall.

"Can we go up to one of the mountains?" She asked.

"Okay. Maybe we can go to Smuggler Mountain, do you wanna do that?"

"Okay!"

They then made their way up to Smuggler Mountain and decided to do the bike trail. They hired some bikes and then got on them with caution.