Chapter 8: Chatting and Salsa

When Mariana finished piercing in her pearl earrings, she zipped up her hoodie over her pink sports bra. She was about to head off to her Zumba fitness session that she attended every Sunday. It was a way for her to de-stress after the week and then start the new one afresh.

She tied her hair into two buns and then fluffed the rest down her back. She grabbed her mini backpack off the floor and went downstairs.

She's always looked forward to doing Zumba. She loved exercising to the songs that were played, even though dancing in front of other people wasn't her thing, she didn't mind it during Zumba because she was too invested in the songs.

"Bye Rio!" She cheerfully said to her cat as she kissed him goodbye. He meowed as she placed him down. She loved seeing his leafy green eyes look up at her. Even though his pin-like pupils sometimes scared her, she couldn't take his eyes off him when they dilated into a black pool of cuteness.

When she left her house, she skipped down to her car and threw her bag into the passenger seat. She got in the other end and drove off.

Her window went down a little as she turned on the radio. The cool breeze from the window brushed against her neck like little kisses. The sun shined faintly on her face, highlighting her cheeks while the rest were still in the shadows.

When she arrived, she got out of her car and went inside the studio. She placed her bag on the bench and sat down to tie her shoelaces.

"Hey Mariana."

She looked up at her instructor Amell. He was very tall with olive skin and a chiseled jaw. His raven black hair was brushed back from his square forehead.

"Hey," she replied.

"Did you just arrive?" He asked out of his coarse voice.

"Yeah."

"Nice." He took a seat next to her and began to stroke her curls.

"Can you not touch my hair please," she pulled it away from his reach and whipped it to the other side.

"Sorry, are you alright though?"

"Yeah, just fine," she said while shuffling away a little bit. Sometimes his behavior towards her creeped her out.

When she was done, she joined the rest as Amell stood in front of everyone.

"Okay everybody, are you ready to Zumba?!" He exclaimed.

They all shouted in agreement and began to play some salsa music as a warm-up.

Mariana followed his steps closely, putting one foot forward and doing the same with the other. She always enjoyed the salsa warm-up, even though she might miss a couple of steps but she was more worried about tripping on her own feet and embarrassing herself.

After their warm-up, Amell went on the main song which was a salsa remix of La Isla Bonita.

Everyone started twirling around, their waist moving in sync with the music. Their hands rotated and their arms were like water ripples.

Last night I dreamt of San Pedro.
Just like I'd never gone, I knew the song.
A young girl with eyes like the desert.
It all seems like yesterday, not far away.

Mariana's eyes were sealed as she was in the wave of the lyrics.

This was it. She was at the peak of her bliss. Within these peaceful moments, she was in her haven of relaxation, and all her anxieties dissipated away.

****

"So how was your Zumba session?" Leilani asked, eating a bit of lemon cake.