Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Eliza

I looked through the book he used to write in. "Why don't you ever write in this?" I asked him. Jack was in a coma. I've stayed in the hospital with him for 6 months.Last February was when we had the accident. It was a slippery night, but that didn't keep Jack from showering me on Valentine's Day. I sat at his bed side and stroked his hair. His dark hair looks sweaty on his face. I took a cloth from the closet and wet it up a little. I wipe his pale face, and kiss his forehead.

He smelled like rubbing alcohol and my favorite perfume. I touched the crease of the book and looked at the writing. Some of these pages were filled with songs, some of his favorites and some of his own. "I didn't know you could sing," I laugh. I touch his hand and feel his pulse. He was steady; as always. "When will you come back to me?" I kiss his hand. I missed the touch of him. Jack made living in sadness, happiness, or in any emotion, much better. "How about I read you some of your writing?" I started on the first page.

"I saw a girl today. She had big hair and it was curled up like fries. I didn't know whether to make fun of her or admire her. 'Hey curly fry' she didn't appreciate the name, but it only just begun." I hated that name. Even when I came to school with my hair straighten, he would tease me. "I never really looked at her face. Which was rude of me, but I made up for it." When I saw her the next day she had on a lot of red. "What's up Cherri Curl," and I didn't say it out loud, because it would've been offensive. I didn't need to offend her. She was pretty; I realized when I finally looked at her face."

And I only laughed because Jack was dumb. He only once called me "Cherri Curl" and apologized to me so many times. I never got it but I do now. "My father used to sport a Jheri Curl, by the way," I imaged what he would say back. It would've been something smart and witty, because Jack was a jackass. "Why are you so cute?" I read on of the songs in the book. It was a love song, like most of them were. He wrote the lyrics to "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 in his book. I could imagine him singing it in the car.

"Beauty Queen of Only 18,

She had some trouble with herself

He was always there to help her

She always belong to someone else

I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door

I've had you so many times but somehow I want more

I don't mind spending everyday

Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Look for the girl with the broken smile

Ask her if she wants to stay a while,

And she will

Be loved.

And she will, be loved.

The monitor next to him beeped endlessly. It had a steady beat, just like him. I made my thousandth wish, "I wish to hear your voice" None of my wishes came true; but I made on every day. I put the book down. Jack wasn't readable, but this book made him out to be. "How about we have story time, everyday?" I say to him. His once tan skin was now pale and his bright brown eyes were now closed. I went to the cafeteria and grabbed a coffee.

"It's 3 pm, Eliza; don't you think you need some water?" I lost track of time. I had to be work at 3:30. "Your right, Debra." She hands me a water bottle and I give her three dollars. "I'll see you later." I go back to Jack's room and sit down for a bit. I distract myself from his blank face and scroll through my phone. "Do you want me to come and watch him for you?" One of Jack's doctors comes in and asks. "If you check up on him a few times, that would be lovely. I'll be back here later on." I touch his hand and leave the room.

I go home and shower before work. I get out and spray my favorite perfume on my wrist. Last year around Valentine's Day Jack bought me that perfume. He told it me it smelled just like me. So I wore it every day. Today i hoped would be different; I was happy that I was going to work to drown how I was feeling.

"How's he doing?" Devin's asked me as I pass by him. "He's okay." I say the same thing every day. "It's a habit." He saw the look on my face. I wipe down a table before a family of 4 sits in the booth. It was the still the lunch rush and people were coming through. "It's okay, Devin." I pass him with a menu in my hand and smile. The music in the restaurant was classical and I wanted so bad to change it. "Can you change this music?" The man I was serving smiled at me. He had blonde hair and nice blue eyes. "Well it looks as you and I have the same mind, my name is," He said my name before I could. "I can read." He ordered a beer and an appetizer. "You look familiar, Eliza." I had my curly afro of hair pulled back into a pony tail. "Oh how so?" I placed his chicken wings on his table and gave him silverware.

"I see you at the hospital every day." I have never seen him. I was too focused on Jack to notice anyone there. "Oh, well hello" I hand him the beer he ordered, and walk away. "Why is blondie eyeing you?" Devin automatically noticed. "I have no idea, and I don't want to serve him anymore. His side salad is ready, go give it to him." I give the bowl to him and take the drinks out of his hands. "Here's your lemonade and your water." I give the drinks to an old couple. "We're ready to order," The older woman says. I give Devin a look from a far and he comes to assist them. "Blondie asked for you again. He enjoys your curls." My stomach sinks. "How can I help you?" He smiles at me, and asks for some more dressing.

"I know you don't do well with any man besides, Jack. But Eliza, please loosen up. He's just a costumer. Not Jack." I take some deep breaths. "Devin I think he's attractive." And it seemed so wrong to feel. "It's okay." He pushes me near the man. "Do you need another beer?" He nods his head yes. I grab him another beer and take his bowl. His hair was slicked back and you could see all of his face. His eyes were very blue his jaw line was so defined. He was very attractive, and I think he knew, I thought he was. I have Devin bring out his sandwich and watch him from a far. "Are you sure it's okay?" I feel so guilty for something I can't help. "Yes Eliza it's okay."