1: The Coffee Shop

~Tyler's point of view~

I was training the newest employee, Brendon. "Ryan," I called. "Sir?" He replied, walking into the back room. "Finish showing Mr. Urie what to do. The morning rush is about to start and you panic on it. So let me do it."

Ryan nodded and looked at Brendon. "This is just like a Starbucks. I guess. Except this place is literally just called Coffee. You make whatever drink Tyler puts on the menu and you learn it by heart." Ryan explained to Brendon. I smiled at Ryan and went out to the front.

The man walked in. Josh. I've memorized his name. He comes in everyday, with the same smile. The same slit in his eyebrow. The same smug smirk. "Good morning Tyler," He said to me and glanced at the menu. "I'll have... a mocha latte, a little extra coffee. Like a shot of it." He said, payed and then walked away to a table.

I started to make his coffee. Seven-thirty a.m., always the time this man comes. I run around making the coffee, almost tripping twice. One of my employees, Jenna walked in the door. "Sorry I'm late Tyler, my daughter wouldn't get ready for school." She explained.

"It's okay, just wash your hands and get an apron." I said. Jenna is only a year younger than me. She had her daughter Rosie at twenty. While I am a single spout, no boyfriend, no kids. Nothing. Just a working business that keeps me busy on the daily.

"What do we have to work on today?" She asked as Brendon and Ryan came from the back. "You three can work on Mrs. Garcia's donut order. I'll help once I get done with Josh's order. Which I almost am." I said as I put a lid on and a coffee sleeve around the hot coffee.

"Josh," I called and slid the coffee across the counter to where he can reach it. "Thanks Tyler," he gave me a small genuine smile. Then he turned and left. Taking his smile with him. Instead of his normal black suit, he was in jeans, a t-shirt and his hair consisted of a mess.

"Tyler!" Jenna called. I turned around and there were people waiting. "I'll get them!" I told her and went to the register, taking orders and making drinks. A few hours later Brendon, Jenna, and Ryan had all finished Mrs. Garcia's order and she had stopped by to pick it up.

"Oh gosh," I said panting. "That was a very big morning rush," Jenna commented. "Very. Brendon, sorry you had a huge rush on the first day." I said. "Oh, it was fine Mr. Joseph." Brendon said smiling before wiping his brow. "This was actually really fun. I've loved coffee for as long as I can remember."

I smiled, "Please don't call me Mr. Joseph. It makes me feel old, and I'm only twenty-six." I said and we all laugh, expect for Brendon. "Sorry," He replied. "Don't think too deeply about it," I said.

Brendon nodded. "Did Ryan tell you about the best part of working here?" I asked Brendon and he shook his head. "No, although I made that connection myself. It's hard working with all these hot people." Brendon said in a flirty voice. Jenna and Ryan both blushed intensely.

"Not that." I said laughing. "You get one free coffee and one free pastry a day. You could eat it for breakfast or just a break snack. You also get three breaks a day." I explained, giving Ryan a look because he didn't explain this. "Sounds like you spoil your employees." Brendon laughed.

"Well you see, the things is. Just like everyone here, I have loved coffee for as long as I can remember. My mom used to tell me I was great at making amazing coffees. They tasted amazing, even though I just made the up. I opened this coffee shop three years ago and got my four best friends to run it with me. Ryan Ross, Jenna Black, Dallon Weeks and Ashley Frangipane. Dallon doesn't work today and Ash had to call in sick today."

Brendon nodded, "Can't wait to meet the new workers." He said as a couple walked into the coffee shop. "Hello! Welcome to Coffee, take your time to look over what you'd like. Our orders have changed so beware." I told the young couple as everyone else assumed their positions.

"I'd like a Black Cat." The older male said and then looked at the girl. "What would like Kristan?" He asked her. "Um... I'll just take an Autumn Sunrise." She said. "One Black Cat and One Autumn Sunrise." I repeated after them putting it on the register. "We have a new Cinnamon donut, would you like to try it?" I asked.

"Lucy would probably like that John." Kristan said to John. "Yeah add that to our order please." John said pulling out his credit card. "Would you like to sign up for our Coffee rewards?" I asked the couple. John waved his hand and shook his head. "No thank you," I nodded. "That'll be five dollars and seventy one cents." I said as he put the card in the card reader.

"The names for the order would be?" I asked. "John for the Black Cat coffee and Kristan for the Autumn Sunrise." John and I nodded. "You can await for you donut and coffees by sitting and or standing. We also have free wifi if you'd like to use it." I informed the couple.

They nodded and took a seat at a table closest to the door. Another couple walked in, Brendon took his first register order. "So, one coffee for the name of Jayden and one for the name of Mark?" He asked the two men that were holding hands. "Yes sir," Jayden said. "Coffee for John." I said as I finished preparing Kristan's coffee. "Donut and coffee for Kristan." I called as the first couple came up to get their items.

"We do kindly accept tips, although they are not required." I said. Kristan nudged John for a tip but he shook his head. "You have a five dollar bill in your pocket. Give it to him." She said, and again John shook his head. The older man walked outside. Kristan looked at me and took a twenty dollar bill out of her pocket.

"This will be our little secret," she winked at me and then looked at my name tag. "Tyler. He could've just given you the five dollar bill. Instead you get twenty. It's the smallest bill I had." She started to leave when I yelled. "Thank you! This is very appreciated!"

"Shhh," she said and winked at me again. "Our secret," and then she was out the door.