Chapter 11: A Start of Something New

unedited

***

"Good one, Penn."

The boy in question could only stare at his supposed friend in disbelief. "What do you mean? Do you think I'm joking?"

"I mean," Boone countered. "You took her on a movie night inside of some abandoned establishment and she's already head over heels in love with you? Kinda suspicious bro."

Penn's eye twitched. "I- wh- I didn't say any of that!" He thinks that Boone is completely changing the story. The hero explained to his wiseman all of the events from last night. Well, he just gave him a brief summary.

Boone seemed to be unconvinced.

"And I think," Penn took a breath. "We already have some kind of connection before I even asked her out."

"Uh huh, sure."

"Boone!"

Sashi rolled her eyes. "Why are you so negative, Boone?"

"Oh yeah that's a lot coming from you, Miss 'I-Only-Have-Bad-Days'."

Both Penn and Sashi could only look at him with a mix of pity, confusion, and annoyance. They decided that they have had enough with his attitude this early in the morning.

"Okay, what's wrong." Sashi interrogated.

"Nothing."

Penn frowned. "Then why are you so annoyed about my date with Y/N?"

"I just don't like how your first date went, dude. One night of watching a lame movie and the next she's kissing you? It sounds, ugh."

"Oh come on, Boone." Sashi replied. "Don't think that didn't happen on your date with Hana." It finally hit them as they realized that they haven't seen the girl this morning with Boone, so something must've definitely happened between them.

"Oh, Hana? We broke up."

"What?!"

"Yeah, it was a mutual agreement. She's stressed, I'm busy..." He trailed off because he knows that they already knew what happened next.

Sashi and Penn didn't know how to address it. The silence between them became kind of weird and unnerving. What exactly would you say to your friend going through a break-up from a relationship that didn't even last for a month? A week even!

It felt like forever, but when the bell rang for the first period, the three of them unintentionally let out breaths of relief. They scattered to their own classes without uttering another word.

Penn could only feel agony as he watched the clock do its rounds of ticking and moving. The last time he saw you was last night, and he hasn't seen you this morning. Usually, he would see you on your locker or by the announcement board but not today, it seemed.

///

Lunchtime came as the gang met each other by the usual table again. It felt rather awkward than normal because of the situation earlier, resulting in a very quiet table.

Meanwhile, you found yourself casually striding towards your friends. You already noticed that the atmosphere is kinda different today because one is missing.

"Hey," you greeted, smoothly sat down beside Penn as he sputtered your name. "Sorry I'm late. I had to do some errands for my aunt." You sent Penn a signal as if telling him that you spent all night thinking about the date and luckily, he seemed to have got it seeing the blush on his cheeks.