Chapter 3

(a/n: this chapter starts a week after the last one. Dream sent Artemis a letter via a shifter in bird form. It asked her to meet him at the lake. He wanted her to bring a swimsuit and he had a surprise.)

I raced to the lake. Under my tattered dress, I wore a swimsuit. It was a black one piece suit, and hugged my skin tightly, but in a comfortable way. It looked more like a short sleeved shirt and shorts sewed together than a bathing suit, but I liked it and wore it more than traditional bathing suits and sometimes I trained in it. I finally reached the lake, and Dream was waiting for me with his horse. There was a blanket laying on the ground and a spread of food set out.

"Oh, Clay this is too much."

"Anything for you, love."

I blushed, then heard a sound. I smiled, "I'll be back in a moment." I sprinted back to the trees, then proceeded to climb one silently. I climbed from tree to tree until I reached one that hung over the path Clay used to get here. Two people were walking along it, looking down. One wore a light blue shirt with a white rectangle with a red border and dark blue pants. He had white glasses on. The taller of the two had a white shirt, black pants, and a white bandana holding back his hair. They were looking at Clay's footprints, I realized. They could be people trying to hurt Dream, and I was about to throw two knives into their hearts, when I recognized the design on the back of the white shirt one of them wore. A flame, the same as the one on the throne at the palace. I smiled, deciding to mess with them for a bit. I continued to follow them in the trees, but every once in a while I would throw a pebble at them. Every time, they looked back, confused. When they reached the clearing, they called out to Clay, who seemed nervous. He looked up at them, surprised. Then his face softened in recognition

"Hey George, Hey Sap." He said.

"Clay, where is the girl?" The one in the blue shirt asked, I think he was George.

"I don't know. She just said she'd be back, then she ran off to the trees."

"Dang, did Dreamie boy get ditched?" The one in white said, I guess he was Sapnap.

Clay started to fidget, "I'm sure she'll be back."

"And when were you going to tell me about your friends?" I asked, pouting, as I swung down from the tree, landing behind the two princes. They turned and all three of them nearly jumped out of their skins. Clay grinned after a moment and I smiled back.

'How did you do that?" Sapnap said.

'You sounded like a herd of elephants." I replied simply, "I followed you."

"You threw pebbles at us!" George accused.

"At least I didn't throw a knife at you."

"That is true. She has a deadly aim." Clay agreed.

"Thank you, Prince Teakettle." I responded. The two boys looked at each other, then me, then Clay.

"Prince Teakettle!" Sapnap laughed, and George joined in, "I can't!" they collapsed onto the ground, rolling with laughter.

"Why did you have to tell them?" Clay groaned.

"Because I needed someone else to annoy you when I'm not around. I figured they would work."

George paused his rolling, "We most definitely will," He promised.

"Good, it's our job to keep his ego from inflating too much." I gave them both a conspirator's grin.

"Why did I ever ask you two to come?"

"Because your brothers must approve of your girlfriend, and, just saying, we definitely do."