17

We whirled around, "Wilbur?" Sally's voice cracked as she poke his name. It looked like Wilbur, but very pale, and translucent. He had on a yellow sweater and jeans, and he had a wide smile. He had a beanie topping his curly hair, and he looked different. It was hard to describe, but he looked as if nothing bad had happened. Ever. Like he'd never gone through the struggles that made him himself.

"Oh, hi Sally. I'm not Wilbur, I'm like the ghost of his happy memories." The man said, his smile still there. "My name is Ghostbur." We stared at him, not believing it for a moment. I reached out my hand, touching his shoulder. He was solid, but he felt cold. There was no heat coming from his body. He grinned wider at me, if that was even possible. Sally was confused, but she knew that Techno wouldn't be able to Handel

"Ok, Ghostbur. Let's go back to L'manburg." Sally said. She left us in the cave, and shifted into a nightingale. The two of them flew away, with Wilbur's legs turning to mist, letting him float with her. I turned back to Techno, who only seemed sadder.

"That's not my brother." He said solemnly. I agreed with him, Ghostbur was certainly not Wilbur, but he was close enough. "I'm staying here." He told me. I was surprised, but I understood. He needed to stay with his brother.

"Ok. if we need you we'll call for you." I said.

"No. i'm going to retire. I don't want to fight anymore. If you or Phil need me, I will answer to your call, but nobody else's. I need-" He swallowed. "I need time. I need to learn to control my voices. I wasn't there for him because they took over. From the moment Tommy stepped on that podium, they were in control. If I'd been able to resist them better, he might not be dead. I could've helped him. He had them too, but they were so, so much worse. I just need time. Goodbye, sister."

I shook my head, "This is not goodbye, it's a farewell for now. We will see each other again." He nodded, then handed me two compasses.

"I will build a base here, next to him, and when it's done, these will lead you to me. Give one to Phil. And tell him about here when the time is right."

"I will. See you when I see you." I promised. I left him in the cave, staring at the body of his twin. I knew he would survive. He would thrive, as he always did. I knew he would be there for us, and we would be there for him. I emerged from the tunnel, flying back home. My real home. I reached it quickly, my determination fueling my wings. A person was waiting for me on the balcony, mask already gone. I smiled, landing softly in front of him.

"Hello, love." Clay said, wrapping me in a warm, safe hug. I pulled away, kissing him.

"Sorry I left. Family thing." I smiled at him. His green eyes bored into mine, love shining in the ever-changing irises.

"I get it. I trust you." He smiled back.

"Soon, we'll have a family of our own." I promised, embracing him again. He led me inside, where I spotted a pile of pillows and our friends gathered around them.

"You ready for a rematch, lovebirds?" Sapnap shouted, raising a pillow in the air. I laughed, sure of one thing.

My happily ever after had only just begun.