TWENTY FIVE

Chapter 25 Unease

On their way back to her cabin, Corrine decided that she was going to seduce Harry

Not that she knew exactly how, of course. But she had had enough of waiting for him to make the first move. And she had a pretty good idea of what she needed to do: a sultry look here, an accidental brush of her hand there, some clothing that happened to come off... she could manage it, she thought. She could tell that he wanted her, too - at least, most of the time, when his self-control wasn't getting in the way, that is. She would have to do something about that tonight. She smiled wickedly to herself. At last, she would know what it felt like to make love to him... at last, he would be hers, truly hers. But underneath her calculated scheming was an undercurrent that she didn't want to admit, even to herself: finally, it would put her insecurities about him to rest once and for all. Finally, she wouldn't have to feel inferior to all the women who came before her - or anyone who was trying to win him over now.

She pushed away the disturbing memories of the afternoon, the lingering doubts about whether she deserved him. Soon, she wouldn't have to think about any of that ever again.

They passed the remainder of the walk to the room in uncharacteristic silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Once he escorted her inside, she shut the door deliberately - and locked it. The move wasn't lost on Harry, who looked suddenly uneasy.

She crossed the room, moved the chair, and stood in front of the bed. "Harry," she purred, "I'm going to need your assistance while I take off this dress."

The pretense, and the backdrop of the bed, gave her away instantly. He tried to protest: "Corrine, I shouldn't... I can't-"

"Well, you helped me put it on," she interrupted, pushing her bottom lip out in a pretty pout. "How am I supposed to get undressed without you? And it's feeling... so... restrictive all of a sudden." The last was said in a low, breathy voice.

Her words and tone were chosen deliberately, and she saw the effect they had on him. He swallowed, and she noticed his heart rate accelerate in the pulse of his neck. "Corrine..." he warned. "You're still quite weak, and you very nearly died. We have to control ourselves."

"I'll behave, I promise," she said lightly. She crossed her fingers behind her back. She would do no such thing, of course.

He nodded reluctantly, and she turned so that her back was facing him. He fumbled with the first button, loosening it at last. While he was working on the next one, she casually leaned her lower body into him. He cursed and jerked back, but not before she felt the stiffness in the front of his trousers. Good. Her plan was working perfectly, then. Unseen by him, she smiled triumphantly.

But it was not as easy as she had anticipated to maintain control of the situation. The brush of his fingertips on her back as he worked his way past her shoulder blades and then lower sent shivers shuddering down her spine. She let out a low moan, and it was not playacting this time, not a ruse to manipulate him. His nearness was like a drug, and she was helpless in its all-consuming power. She knew that he was feeling the effects as well. His fingers shook as he slowly unfastened each tiny button. Right after he finished the last one, he bent over her neck. She could feel his warm breath tickling the hairs on her nape as he hesitated, breathing heavily. Then, with a helpless groan, he brushed a kiss onto her exposed skin. One, and then another... and she was turning, looking into those fathomless, expressive dark eyes as he surrendered to her entirely.