Chapter 6- The Aftermath

The memory of the first contact tumbled through Johanna's mind the entire way home. If you asked her about it later, she would never admit it, but on the way home, she blushed a bit.

When she reached her building, she felt her pocket buzz. She pulled out her Holo-Pad, to see a simple, brisk "Where do you live?" From Embra. Johanna figured she couldn't lie, so she tapped out,
"Well, you know how I said I worked for the government? Yeah, I live in the big government facility down on Sullivan Street."

A reply was received practically before the message was sent; "Okay, I'll be over in ten. Buzz me in. We need to talk."

Johanna's stomach dropped. "Perhaps that kiss wasn't the right idea after all..." she muttered.

Johanna stared out her window anxiously until she saw Embra approach the complex on a bicycle. Johanna pressed a white button on her wall, and texted Embra "I just set the elevator to my floor. The door's unlocked. Come on in."

For the third time that day, Johanna was extremely anxious. She stewed in anxiety until she heard a knocking on her door. She hesitantly slid it open, and Embra walked in. There being only one bed and no chairs, Embra sat down beside Johanna.

There was a hard, unreadable look on Embra's face. Johanna could barely keep eye contact, but forced herself to. "W-what do you want, Embra?" Johanna asked quietly and slightly fearfully.

"I'll tell you what I want. I want to talk with you. What was that at the park?"

"It... it was a kiss," Johanna answered meekly.

"Well I know that," Embra angrily scoffed. "But why?"

"Well, um... I have a huge crush on you, and I really want to be with you. I love you, Embra. And, you were just looking so sad, and I really wanted to help you feel better. So I tried to do both..."

Embra nodded. "And when did you develop this crush?"

"The first time I ever saw you."

"Which was when? Right after my dad died?"

Without thinking, Johanna foolishly let a truth slide out: "Just before, actually." Instantly realizing what she had just done, she blanched.

"What do you mean, 'just before'?" Johanna stammered, trying to think of a believable lie.

Unable to, she hung her head in shame. "I'm going to tell you a very big secret. Huge. It will change what you think of me. You need to promise me you won't get mad."

"I can't do that, Kelly. What is it?"

"I..." Johanna inhaled deeply, and slowly admitted; "Well first off, my name is Johanna, not Kelly. Secondly, I'm not a worker who recompensates people who lost their parents. I'm... I'm the deadliest assassin in the nation, probably is Vespu, and possibly in the world. I killed your dad that night. Just a few minutes before I killed him, I saw you get out of the shower. For me at least, it was love at first sight.

"I need you to understand, I'm not in charge of who I kill. I'm just told who my target is, and I do the job. You dad was the resistance leader. I tried to make it up to you as much as I could. I'm sorry, but it was nothing against you. You are just a beautiful mishap in my life. Okay?"

Johanna raised her head as the said the last word. Embra was standing, and her back was to Johanna, who was unable to read her emotion.

Embra slowly turned around. Her eyes were on fire, and she was holding one of Johanna's best knifes. Before Johanna could do anything, Embra pounced on her.

"CARKING TARKA!" Yelled Embra. Johanna grabbed Embra's wrist, but Embra's anger was stronger than Johanna's muscles. The knife slowly came down, and just before impact, Johanna rolled over, throwing Embra off. Embra snatched a rope off the weapons counter, and then brought the hilt of the knife down on Johanna's head.

***

When Johanna came to, she was bound, and her head hurt like crazy. She was still in her room, tied spread eagle to her bed. Johanna attempted to move her limbs, but Embra had tied the rope well.

Lavvit, why did I even have that rope there? Thought Johanna.

"Listen up, tarka," said Embra, noticing that Johanna had woken. Running her finger along the blade of the knife, she addressed Johanna: "You're the cark-bag that murdered my father in cold blood. To be honest, after the kiss, I thought we might be able to get together, but now it seems we can't, can we?"

Embra grinned sadistically. "Now, I'm gonna have some fun."

***

Embra strode over to her vulnerable would-be girlfriend, a sadistic glee in her step. When she reached Johann's unprotected body, she let out a hearty laugh. "Oh-ho-ho, this'll be epic."

She slid the knife along Johann's side, slicing open that section of her suit. She pulled it apart with her hand, until Johanna's entire left side up to the ribcage was exposed.

She pressed the knife in just enough to draw blood, and ran it along in a curly-cue for a few inches.

Johanna had spent many an hour training how to resist torture; she kept her face blank, while just beneath the surface she was seething in agony.

Embra removed the knife. She removed a drop of blood with her finger, and tasted it. "Exquisite," she said with a false air of class.

She cut away the rest of the jumpsuit covering Johanna's belly, and laid the knife against it. Johanna tensed up at the cold metal, and decided to ask a question: "Embra, are you going to kill me?"

"Mmm... Maybe. I haven't decided yet."

Embra climbed upon the bed, and straddled Johanna, their knees roughly equal. Embra pushed the blade into Johanna's flesh, bringing a slight grimace to her face. Embra carved intricate shapes through the skin, while whispering to Johanna, "scream for me..."

After a few minutes, Embra sighed. "This is no fun if you won't scream. I was going to work all the way to your neck, and slit it, but you aren't cooperating, I'm done." Johanna let out the quietest "Oh, thank you..." before Embra enacted one final act of pain: She plunged about an inch of the knife straight into Johanna's midsection.

Johanna let out a scream of pain. Embra grinned like a schoolchild; "There it is!"

Johanna lifted her head, and gazed at Embra.

"Embra, baby, listen: I love you. A lot. I want you to do the same. Please, stop this. Release me, and fix me up. I didn't kill your dad to hurt you, I did it to thwart the rebels. Can't you respect that?"

Johanna's vision started to tunnel. Something changed in Embra's eyes, and her face softened. "Yes. Yes I can."

She stood up. Embra's change of heart had just saved Johanna's life. Embra grabbed some fabric, removed the knife, cut Johanna's bindings, and started to patch Johanna up.

Over the next few hours, Embra tended to Johanna. Johanna was drifting in and out of consciousness, but during the time she was awake, she instructed Embra on whatever first aid needed to happen.

***

Once Johanna was feeling well enough to sit up, Embra asked her a question, "So, you said that you first saw me when I got out of the shower. Did you... did you see me naked?"

Johanna unnoticeably blushed. "No, not really."

Embra placed one hand on Johanna's shoulder, and stepped even closer. "Well, maybe you will, someday." Grinning sensually, she kissed Johanna.

"Sorry for torturing you earlier and everything," Embra apologized.

Johanna's eyes flicked to the bed, and told Embra "I think I know just the way for you to make it up to me..."

Embra got the message and nodded.

***

Less than a minute later, the girls were intimately intwined in a makeout under the covers.