Chapter 9- Eisenhardt Vs. The Republic

The day of the trial had arrived. Johanna and Embra sat in the spectator area, awaiting the start of the case. After a few minutes, two men in suits escorted a wild-haired and injured girl into the room. Cosima, the defendant, was struggling against her escorts, but she was restrained in seven different ways.

The two suited officials sat her in her chair, strapped her to it, and cuffed her hands to the table legs. As Cosima surveyed the crowd, she spotted Johanna and Embra. Upon seeing Embra, complete befuddlement engulfed Cosima.

The attorney entered the court.

The crowed began murmuring in surprise. The defense attorney was none other than Wilbur Falcon, one of the greatest lawyers in the whole Republic. Plymouth wasn't exactly known to supply the greatest lawyers to prisoners, especially treasonous ones, so either the law had a change of heart, the Republic didn't want this girl convicted for some reason, or this girl was loaded with cash.

Wilbur sat, fingers templed, awaiting the beginning of the case. His blue suit stood out against the sterile white and black scheme of the room.

The judge, the Senior Co-Assistant Greater Magistrate, stepped into the room. He strode over to the stand, and sat, gavel at his side. Trailing him was the prosecuting attorney, Penta Ridgeworth. She elicited even more surprised murmurs than those of Wilbur's, as she was the premier freelance prosecutor in all of Vespu. She had worked over 300 cases, and lost only twelve of them.

Penta sauntered over to her stand, white and blue suit glimmering in the light. She sat beside the judge, a practically undetectable smug smirk on her face. The judge made a quick check on the people in the room, and nodded.

He rapped his gavel on the podium, and loudly pronounced "Order in the court!" Everyone quieted down nearly instantly. The judge sat up in his chair. "First order of business: Defendant, how do you plead; Guilty, Not Guilty, No Contest, Partially Guilty, or Jury Nullification?" Cosima leaned into her microphone. "Your Honor, I plead Partially Guilty." The judge nodded, and said to Penta, "Opening statements, please."

Penta thanked the judge, and cleared her throat. "Thank you, Your Honor. Now, I believe that the defendant is without a doubt fully guilty of all charges, rather than her alleged 'Partial guilt'. There is solid proof of her and late brother's conspiracy against multiple officers within the Plymouth Republic Government and Military. She-"

"Objection," announced Wilbur. The judge nodded in confirmation, and Wilbur continued: "The 'solid proof' or which you speak is not actually solid. The surveillance and intelligence that you have taken as irrefutable was in fact gathered by sources not currently available for questioning, and thus it is naught but alleged. Unless my client herself admits that she did indeed plan against all the listed officials, then the evidence and therefore charges are uncertain."

Penta nodded, and continued. "Yes, I suppose you are correct there. However, one can be made certain. So how about we bring up the first witness, a Correction Officer whose life Luciano and Cosima attempted."

A sharply-dressed man in a pink suit stepped out of the stands and walked to the podium. He sat, ready to testify. The judged asked, setting a Bible on the stand in front of the witness, "Kr. Lavender, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?" He placed his hand upon the book, and agreed.

"Great. Now, Ms. Ridgeworth, begin your questioning."

"Thank you, Your Honor. Now, Kr. Lavender, is it true that the Luciano siblings tried to kill you on August 14th, 2184, exactly three months ago?"

"No, Ma'am." This sent a ripple through the crowd, but they hushed as the man continued; "But they did hire a hitman to kill me for them."

"I see. And you know that this hitman was hired by them... how exactly?"