Chapter 10 - Mental Break

Cosima had been sentenced one month of Psychological torture. Six officials from the government had been hand-picked by the Grand Magistrate to torture her, one of which happened to be Johanna.

Each torturer was assigned five random days of the upcoming month in which they would dole out their punishment. Johanna was given the 4th, 5th, 16th, 23rd, and 29th. The government placed her on reserve duty for the month, so she would most likely not be doing any missions unless entirely necessary.

On the 3rd, Johanna was with Embra at a park. It was a chilly day, and they were both thusly clad. While they were eating lunch together, Johanna asked, "Hey, Embra. I don't think I've gotten to ask you... are you fe or ve?"

"I'm vemale. Why?" She answered through a mouth of French fries.

"No reason, just curious."

Embra threw the question back at Johanna.

"What about you?"

"I'm fema-" She was cut off by a stranger approaching the table.

"Hello," said the man.

"Um, who are you?" Asked Embra.

"I'm a journalist researching about RIFF, and I was wondering if the two of you knew anything about it."

"RIFF as in the terrorist group?" Queried Johanna.

"Well yes, but I wouldn't call them terrorists per se, more like insurgents. A resistance group."

He paused, and them flusteredly added "N-not that there's anything the need to resist, of course." He chuckled nervously.

"Yeah, no offense, but you don't seem very much like an actual reporter," said Embra.

"Yeah, I agree with her. Show me your badge."

"I, um..." He scrambled inside his jacket, and eventually produced a badge.

"Okay," said Johanna, looking over the certificate. "What do you think, Embra? Does this look legit?" Johanna passed the card to Embra, who studied it closely.

"It looks a bit wonky to me, to be honest," she said after a few seconds.

"Oh well," said Johanna, standing. "I suppose even if you aren't a journalist, I can't think of any reason that you would pose as one unless you were actually a member of RIFF, in which case I don't see any harm in telling you what I know. Follow me."

Embra and the man both trailed Johanna to a secluded part of the park. Johanna stopped once she found where she needed to be, and turned to the man.

"So, Hello sir. I'm Johanna. What's your name?" She extended her hand to shake.

He took her hand. That would be the last hand he ever shook, because as soon as he clasped Johanna's hand, a blade extended from Johanna's hand, impaling his palm.

Before he could react, Johanna ripped the hidden weapon out of his hand, and ran the thin blade deep into his throat. She tore her hand back once again, and rammed her palm directly into his eye, impaling it.

He fell as he coughed up blood, and was dead before he hit the ground.

Embra was totally agape. "Dude! The cark was that for?!" She yelled at Johanna.

Johanna clapped a hand over her mouth. "Shhh! We don't want to attract any attention! We don't need to be caught right now."

Embra nodded. They exited the scene, and as soon as they were a reasonable distance from the corpse, Embra exploded. "Why did you kill that guy?!"