Appendix/Glossary

Due to the fact that this story takes place in the future, some of the language has changed, and new terminology has arisen. So, you might notice some words that aren't currently actual words; this appendix of sorts will serve as a dictionary. Whenever I put an invented word in my story, it will go here.

Terms

Government officials

Nightlark - the premier stealth force of the republic. There can only be five at any given time, and upon reaching the age of thirty a Nightlark is removed from the force. During the timeframe of the story, a Nightlark has aged out, and the empty spot has not yet been filled.

Vortex officer - a team of twenty soldiers tasked with using the experimental time-travel tech whenever needed. The soldiers are often very low-ranking, as deaths are frequent and unavoidable when traveling through time, either forwards or backwards. Even simply using the device to move in the timestream has a 10% chance of death.

Revision officer - a fairly large task force that deals with keeping the public in line through usage of propaganda and the occasional fear tactic.

The magistrates - There are thirteen magistrates in the National Magistrate Council. In order of power, the are as follows:

1. Grand Magistrate
2. Associate Grand Magistrate
3. Greater Magistrate
4. Associate Greater Magistrate
5. Senior Co-Associate Greater Magistrate
6. Junior Co-Associate Greater Magistrate
7. Senior Minor Magistrate
8. Associate Senior Minor Magistrate
9. Co-Associate Senior Minor Magistrate
10. Minor Magistrate
11. Associate Minor Magistrate
12. Co-Associate Minor Magistrate
13. Junior Minor Magistrate

Each Magistrate has a twenty-six year tenure, staggered. Meaning that every two years, the Grand Magistrate's term ends, everyone else moves up one slot, and a new person becomes Junior Minor Magistrate.

Other

Plymouth Republic - the Plymouth Republic is the nation in which this story takes place. Attached to this chapter is the flag of the nation.

Vespu - the name collectively given to the five nations that were formerly part of the USA, northern Mexico, and southern Canada. It is a shortened version of the name Vespucci, after Americo Vespucci, the Spanish explorer who first landed in South America.

Curse words

Many of our curse words have been phased out and replaced with new words by 2184. Any swear that I do not list the replacement has remained unchanged.

D*mn - Lav

A** - Lyna

B*tch - Tarka

B*stard - Dastus

Sh*t - Dama

F**k (Non-sexual) - Cark

F**k (Sexual) - Basht

Other

Genders

Plymouth has five gender umbrellas for legal purposes; two for biological males, two for biological females, and one that covers any genders not conforming to the other four umbrellas. They are:

Male, Honorific Mr.
Kemale, Honorific Kr. (Pronounced "Ker")
Female, Honorific Ms. / Mrs.
Vemale, Honorific Vs. / Vrs. (Pronounced "Vass / Vassis")
Xemale, Honorific Mx. (Pronounced "Mix"

You choose your legal term at age 9, and are legally allowed to change it every other year from then onwards. Before age nine, you are referred to as a Remale or Semale depending on your biological sex, with the honorifics Rr. (Rer) and Ss. (Sis). Unfortunately, transgender people are not allowed to change their gender to one of the two of the biological sex they are not until after surgery.

The legally recognized pronouns are He, She, and They. The phrases "Sir" and "Ma'am" are used for both genders of their corresponding sex, while "Mir" is used for Xemales.