Buzzer

Author's note: Guys this is my first writing so yeah pls be kind and give it a readd! Please let me know where I should improve and any part you enjoyed!

"Okay stop, drop me here." I told the driver. I hate it when Dad sends him with me. I am an adult and I can take care of my myself. But no, who cares. As long as I am a Syed-zadi, i will be protected like this. I took out my backpack and asked the driver to go.

As soon as he disappeared from the corner of street, i unbuttoned my gown and took it off. Nothing irritates me as much as these layers. Then I removed my scarf and put it in my bag. My hair need fresh air, I cant let them suffocate. My college was on the next street. When I felt that I finally looked okay, i moved towards the college.

I don't do this on daily basis, ofcourse. But today i had to perform in the Science contest. I could not let myself look like what i look every other day. As i entered the gate, I saw girls sparkling in different costumes.

Life has bestowed me with many beautiful things and this college is NOT one of them. Who would send their daughter to a Women's college in her prime youth? My parents, ofcourse. So that i don't get subjected to boys. How innocent of them!

"Oh! You look stunning Zara."

My bestfriend came and hugged me. "Thanks! You don't!". I love it when she rolls eyes at me like this. We planned our outfit for this day. We were both wearing black tops with blue jeans. Aisha had short hair while mine, reaching down my hips. I had straightened them and they looked perfect. We held hands and ran to the auditorium.

Final arrangements were being made in the hall for contest. As we entered, Mam Sofia approached us. "Are you prepared, girls? The competition is going to be tough. The boys of Marie Curie College are dangerously intelligent! We must win, okay?" I merely rolled my eyes while Aisha assured her that we will win. An hour later, all the guests were present and the event started.
There were five participants in each team. Questions were asked and the team who answered first and right, ofcourse, was given a point. Out of the ten teams that participated, we luckily made to the top three.

Well, The Marie Curie College was one of them. I don't really agree if they were dangeroulsy intelligent. But one thing I must admit, the boys were very dangerously charming. Cigarettes, drugs and hot boys should not be allowed in a Women's college. Even for contests. The final question popped up on the big projector. I sweeped away my thoughts and focused.

It asked, "Which part of brain deals with hearing and language?" And the ten seconds timer started.

I knew the answer. I raised my eyes and looked at the other two teams, no one else seemed to know. As i raised my hand for buzzer, i heard the buzz before i touched it.

"Temporal lobe." A boy answered. The Marie Curie boy! Why was he looking at me? Our eyes met. And I instantly looked away. Mam Sofia looked at me with sheer disappointment in her eyes. They won. We lost.

*******

"We don't play to win or lose. We play to enjoy, to learn, to compete. Isn't it?" I told Aisha as she was being too sad over our defeat. "But didn't you see how proud the boys were?" "Come on Aisha! That's the least i care for. Forget it! My driver will be here soon. I have to go." And then I gave her a warm goodbye hug. Her father came to pick her and she went away.

I came to the washroom to tie my hair. I made a loose bun. Wait a minute! I realised i wasn't wearing my backpack as i looked for hairtie. I ran back all the way, looked everywhere. My backpack was nowhere in sight. I tried hard to remember but couldn't. "No! This isn't possible. Nooo" I kept saying under my breath. "Allah please don't do this to me, please let me find my bag." I was getting really worried. I ran here and there. My long hair swaying restless in each direction i ran. But no success.

At last I sat hopeless. I knew it was my last day on this planet, if my dad or his driver saw me like this. In such an outfit! Without scarf! No! I got up again and started looking for it.

"Ohhh no!" I suddenly realised that i took it to the auditorium with me. I ran there. I was startled to see guests having lunch there. But i chose to ignore all the embarrassment and ran to the dressing room. My bag must be there.

As I unlocked the door, I saw two boys in there. The same Marie-Curie-buzzer-eye-contact-boy! He was tying his laces. What could be he doing in here? He looked at me. I froze. Deep brown eyes with thick dark eyebrows, looking straight in mine. My temporal lobe must be paralysed at that moment, because I didn't hear the announcement for my name untill it was third time.

"Zara Sultan, your father is here to pick you". The gatekeeper announced in the speaker. "My father?" I repeated under my breath. And i realised i came here to look for my bag. My bag, which was behind the buzzer-boy.

Author's note: Heyyyy! I am so glad you made it to the end. This is my first piece and I really hope you like it! Please let me know your thoughts!