He Likes Me

"I am only twenty Mama!" I begged my Mom.

"Zara, age is nothing. I also married when I was twenty. You are an adult." She announced to me in a rough tone. I didn't expect this from her, to enforce upon me the tradition of the family.

Mama realised it and came to me. She put her hand on mine and sat in front of me, staring into my eyes.

"Zara, my love, why are you crying? Irtiza is a fine man. Also, he is only 10 years elder than you. You should feel blessed. Your Aunt has never married, you know right? Just because of rejecting such blessings."

Ten years. The words were just stuck in my mind.

I couldn't settle for such a huge age difference only because he was Syed. A caste same as mine. I couldn't accept the marriage proposal only because of the doubt that i might not get such fine proposals in future. All these thoughts killed me. I couldn't just marry and end my life in my twenties atleast.

"Take your time, Zara. Go to your room and relax. We will take the best decision for you. Don't you trust your parents?" Mama kissed my head and wiped my tears.

                         **********

I was watching Ana and Christian's moments on youtube as Aisha entered my room. I jumped off bed and hugged her.

"Why did you take so long, bitch!" I complained instantly.

I ranted all the family drama in front of her. She was my only hope. I always rushed to her in problems, and this time too.

"I am really sorry Zara! But this seems abaurd. How could they just marry you in such an early age?"

"I don't know! My parents are so convinced that they won't listen a word to me. Just because my aunt has never got any proposal after her youth, it doesn't determine my destiny. Ughh" I groaned.

"No proposals?" Aisha was surprised considering the fact my Aunt was one of the most beautiful ladies.

"No SYED proposals. She had plenty of men dying to marry her, but my family wouldn't let her marry any out-caste. Aisha! She even had a lover. But they didn't let her marry him and he went away. Ah.." I sighed at this tragedy, as always.

"Thank God you haven't got lovers!" Aisha was relieved.

"Oh my exes count, sweetheart."

"Don't tell me Zara! I would prefer you dying unmarried on marrying those creeps you dated. God! I mean, just imagine marrying Saad." And we both laughed like clowns.

"Stop laughing Aisha! I nearly kissed him."

"Thank God, it was Nearly" and we laughed even harder. How could I kiss a nerd who thought we only get to kiss after marriage.

"But you always kissed his nose, bitch. Remember the day..." We heard a knock on door.

"Shhh." I silenced her and opened the door. It was my Aunt Hareem, who came with servants to serve us tea.

"Come inside, Aunty." I invited her.

As soon as she entered room, Aisha attacked her with questions. "Hareem Aunty, why don't you convince her parents to let her live life?"

She smiled and sat with us.

"My girls, do you think life could be easily lived being unmarried? Well, that can be possible. But it proved opposite for me. Living on your brother's mercy all life is a risky idea. Though i have been bestowed with kindest brother, I still crave for someone I could call mine. A family. A home. And Zara, baby you have no brother. And i see no point of rejecting such fine proposal."

"I will not reject when I find someone who fits my standards. I don't even know this man, how could i marry him?"

"Oh Zara! I used to say the same things. Don't do this to yourself. You want to meet him?"

"Umm.. what?" This seemed the most unexpected question, by her atleast. Women in my family are not allowed to meet men like this. My mother met my father for the first time after marriage, on their bed.

"I can help you with that. Listen to me Zara! He likes you. Irtiza asked his parents to propose you."

"What?" The biscuit slipped out of my hands. I knew who he was.