𝗚𝗨𝗜𝗧𝗔𝗥

𝐓𝐖: 𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 ;; wilburs first time using a guitar, pinch of angst at the end

-

Wilbur had first touched a guitar when he was 4 years old. It was a year after Phil adopted him and Techno, he was still getting over some things in the past and was surprisingly shy for his age. Phil was slightly concerned, even Techno who'd not been two keen on being adopted was slowly starting to warm up, but Wilbur had just curled tighter into a ball of seclusion. Even avoiding his own brother at times.

He knew he had to do something about it, at that point he didn't know what. All ideas and knowledge he had on the boy completely disappeared from his brain. But one day at the dinner table, Techno mentioned that Wilbur used to have a passion for music. And suddenly Phil had this bright idea.

One day when Techno was out training, Phil decided he'd take Wilbur to a special shop down the road. A music shop to be exact. At first he was nervous, scared that the kid wouldn't react well to him, would lash out. But it was quite the opposite actually. As soon as the two entered the shop, Phil knew he'd done something right. Wilbur's face just lit up with a childish excitement he hadn't seen at all.

The boy fluttered around the shop, pointing out things that excited him to Phil, who just laughed and went along with it. Then the two stopped in front of a rack of guitars. A beautiful beige guitar caught Wilbur's eye, Phil nudged him over with a smile, nodding towards the guitars. Wilbur gulped but grabbed it off the rack, holding it firmly in his arms. Although it was a little big, he'd grow into it, albeit he continues playing when he's older.

When Phil picked the guitar from the little boys arms and payed for it, Wilbur couldn't help but feel so much gratitude towards the man he'd been adopted by. Launching into his comforting grasp, that was the first time Wilbur had ever called him dad. Right in his arms. Where he belonged.

Honestly, Phil had thought by a couple of months Wilbur would be done with the guitar, but to his surprise the boy would sit downstairs and spend hours memorising every chord. He'd played for Techno and Phil a few times, he wasn't great but he was getting better. All that mattered was the smile they'd get out of him when one of them dropped a compliment.

When Tommy came along though, it was like he had another reason to learn it. Tommy's face would light up whenever his older brother would play the guitar to him, especially when it would send him off to sleep. That time was the closest the family had ever been. Peaceful times where Wilbur would sit with them and strum the guitar lightly, Phil guiding him gently as he spoke out the chords for Wilbur to copy. Tommy wouldn't be able to stay still, he'd be bopping up and down in Techno's arms.

The older boy would watch his family with a proud smile, giving Wilbur a little thumbs up when he was doing well. Even if they were sat in comfortable silence, they'd still know what the other was thinking.

Why couldn't they be like that anymore? Why can't we all be a happy family again...

That's what Phil thought as a tear dripped onto a familiar grave.

'Wilbur Soot 

1996-2020 

Gone but never forgotten'