Chapter 14

March 18, 2027
2300 hours
(New) Hotel

Ben's POV

I had surfed through every camera available. I had found my route. I was ready. I closed the laptop.

I looked up at the bulletin board that was on the wall (seriously, this hotel had everything!). I had my map drawn out of the route the enemies had taken, with Erica and Emma hostage.

I had pieced together where the enemies had taken them. It was a winding route and I found shortcuts, but I suppose there was a reason for the evasive tactics.

I felt good about myself, organizing this whole thing and actually doing something on a mission. But this was no time to let up.

I walked into the bathroom with my spy outfit in my hands. I quickly undressed and put on the skin tight fabric, that felt light but could take a heavy blow. I outfitted my utility belt with knives, pepper spray, and band aids even though I would probably use none of them (except for the band aids).

I looked good. I checked my watch and saw that it was already 11:10. I was trying to enter the base at around 12:00, and the drive was around 30 minutes.

I cased the room once more for anything I needed, then packed up my devices into a backpack and started to leave.

Then I heard Jawa burst in.

"Jawa, where have you been?" I asked.

"I was following a lead," he said, out of breath. "It took way longer than expected, and when you weren't answering the comms, I rushed back."

"Yea, well my headset is broken, and we have much bigger problems."

I filled him in on what had happened, and after, he hopped up into his spy gear. He opened his suitcase and I saw his hand go straight through the fabric. He pulled out a new headset.

"Hidden wall," he said, smirking.

"Let's do this," I said.

Erica's POV

I lay on my cot, pretending to be asleep, Emma dozing off beside me. I listened patiently as I heard the familiar pattern of footsteps, up and down.

I was getting annoyed. I couldn't execute my plan if this guard was going to just be here the whole night. But there was nothing I could do, so I waited.

Finally, at 11:30, I heard the guard move on. I listened for anything else but couldn't hear a thing, so I brought out the plastic basket.

With a little help from my teeth, I unravelled the plastic weaving. It didn't take that long, surprisingly. Soon there were about 30 separate plastic strips. They were all thin, but I crushed them to make it so they were as thin as possible.

I went over to the keypad on the cell. It was an electronic fingerprint reader. I grimaced. This was going to be harder than I thought. The strips weren't long enough to make it through the bars and to the front of the keypad.

I knotted them together. In a chain, they were long enough, but I still didn't know if this would work. I cut myself with the end of the strips, allowing some blood on the end, then ripping off a piece of pillow cloth and sticking it on.

Perfect.

I heard people in the distance heading off to some other place. It sounded like no one, or barely anyone, was left in the warehouse.

I put my stick through the bars. Right as I was about to pressure the scanner, I felt the ground shake. Then I heard 2 people yell.

Now.