Chapter 17

March 19, 2027
0800 hours
Hotel (Undisclosed Location)

Erica's POV

We were eating breakfast in my mother's room. I had a garden salad with a strawberry banana smoothie, and Ben was eating eggs and sausages with apple juice.

My mom was going over the plan for today. None of us were considered safe out there, and we had already jeopardized enough lives for all of us, mostly from Emma being in danger. She was sitting in Ben's lap looking around.

Even though none of us were liked by the enemies (no duh), Ben and I were far more hated among them. Thus, it made sense for Jawa and Zoe to go undercover in the city, to dig up anything they could find. My mom was going to do surveillance from inside the city.

Ben was going to watch camera feeds while I scouted out our building, making sure no sneak attack occurred. I finished up my meal and said goodbye to the others, and watched as everyone filed out of the room. Ben and I went back to our room with Emma.

I went to take a shower. I didn't smell the greatest, and I didn't know why. I slapped on some soap and quickly rinsed myself off. Ben was waiting when I got out. He was holding Emma so her head was at his shoulder.

"Where's mommy going?" He asked.

"Well," I said, taking Emma from Ben, "Mommy has some work to do. And so does daddy. Can you make sure he stays on task little Hale?"

I saw Emma grin and I smiled back at her, then kissed her and gave her to Ben.

"Try not to die," he said as I walked away.

"Oh, you know, it's just the usual," I called back to him, then slamming the door shut.

Ben's POV

I had been watching the cameras for an hour and a half. Nothing, and I mean nothing of interest had come up. It looked like a very nice day. The temperature was 75 F, and I occasionally saw Jawa or Zoe walk by in t-shirts and shorts, with shades on, since the sun was blinding.l

The streets looked busy, as if there wasn't a plan to potentially harm the city in the works. I saw Jawa walk by the buildings on Wall Street, snow banks on the side of the sidewalks. I had seen Zoe and Jawa asking around, but nobody seemed to know anything. It was like this organization never existed, which I guess is the point.

Emma was laying down on the bed beside me, propped up on a tiny pillow I had found. She looked so adorable, but helpless. I watched as she struggled to sit up, and I finally helped her by sitting her in my lap.

"Do you see anything, Emma?" I asked.

She pointed at one of the screens, where Jawa was about to turn off of Wall Street.

"Yea, that's Uncle Jawa," I said. After he disappeared, the camera shifted and Emma stopped pointing.

"At least you tried, little one," I said, stroking her hairs. I felt such a sense of protectiveness ensue over me when Emma was with me. How could anyone want to hurt a baby?

And yet someone had been willing to kill her.

I thought back to what happened and I felt myself shaking with anger. That I hadn't been there sooner. That that lunatic had a gun at her head. How could you hurt a baby?

All because of something Erica and I didn't even do on purpose. It was frustrating, which made me more angry.

It was only when Emma's little hand touched mine that I realized how much I was shaking. It was so small in my palm. I instantly calmed down as I looked at her.

"You definitely like daddy more, right?" I asked, winking.

She looked at me like she thought I was joking, then laughed. I laughed with her, and I let her sit in my lap as I scrolled through the feeds. She occasionally pointed when she saw people that she recognized, but stayed remarkably quiet.

Erica's POV

I had snuck into the city undetected. I was on a rooftop surveying the city. It was a warm day, so I had elected to go with a tourist vibe after leaving the hotel. I watched down below me as people walked on the sidewalk, chatting about random topics. Nothing seemed to add up.

These people were too smart. More than anything Ben and I had faced. Their tracks were extremely well hidden, and any lead seamed to fade off into dust. There just wasn't enough.

Part of me wanted to give up. Ben and I had given our lives to the CIA for the past 10+ years, and it didn't seem fair that we were always being counted on. I just wanted some time alone with my family. Taking this mission was a bad mistake.

I had put my newborn daughter in danger too many times. It was hard to think that she had just been born a few days ago, as she acted much older than she should, but it was true.

I guess Ben and I combined for some pretty good results. Of course, it was up to Emma if she wanted to go into the spy business. I wouldn't want to force her, but she looks like a great one already.

I scanned over the region with my binoculars, looking for anything. A kid threw his friend in the snowbank and they were laughing, a man spilled a coffee on himself, and a woman dropped her purse at an ATM.

I wasn't going to get any leads out here. There simply wasn't enough to go on. I made my way back to the hotel, using evasive action, making sure not to get caught.

I ended up near the door of Ben and I's room. I listened and heard Ben and Emma laughing. I smiled.

Unknown POV

"Have the transfers been done?" The boss asked.

"Yes, yes, everything is completed."

"Good, good."

I saw him pace around on the video screen, his video call in exceptional quality.

"We need to cover our tracks. All of this work needs to be out by tomorrow. Call anyone and everyone. Tell them it's the bosses orders."

"Yes sir." I said. I messaged everyone quickly.

"Oh, and Agent," the boss said.

"Yes sir," I replied.

"When you see the Hales, it's on sight. All of them."