Chapter 29 - Love and Misadventure

Kameela's been back in Birmingham for two years now. Not even thinking about going back to Nigeria for even a day. Still no contact with her cousin/ex-husband. She decided deleting him and Zara from her contact list and unfollowing on Instagram was for the safety of her mental health. She didn't want to know what they were up to. She just wanted to move on. Not that she was feeling great about what happened. It still hurt at times when she remembers what transpired between them. The fact that he didn't believe her and slapped her always made her heart sigh. She still got sad about how it ended but you know, it iz what it iz.

Now that she's free from Ismail, she could finally have a job again, be busy again. Get lost in papers and drawings and contracts. She got the same position in the same firm she had the time before she moved to Nigeria. Now that it was just her and Ummama, she loved every aspect of her current life. Ummama never spoke a word about Ismail. She even tried to not mention Manal or Aisha. Even though she was aching to know what made her darling daughter turn almost mute the first few weeks she came back.

They always were very close but something about the new situation they found themselves in made them tighter. The best of friends. With the house all to themselves they could make all the noise in the world. Once in a blue moon, Kameela's older brother, Khaleed, came home from Glasgow for two or three days but he was either always in his room or always out but either ways, out of their hair.

Times when Kameela had to leave town for a short trip with her old friends or work related, they'd spend a whole day catching up when she gets back.

"Ummama, teach me how to drive." Kameela said to Ummama who was braiding her hair.

"You know duckling, there's a whole school dedicated for that."

"I know but I want to learn from you."

"Nope. Nay. Nahh."

"But I..."

"No. I'll drive you to the place on Saturday." Kameela understood that was a perfect no. They sat in silence for a while till Kameela's phone rang. She looked at the screen and saw an unknown number. Looked at it for a second to see if she'd recognize it but failure to do that made her pick up the phone.

"Hello?"

"I wanted to surprise you but you refused to tell me your address, talk to the taxi man and tell him." She said to Kameela.

"Maimuna?!?!" Kameela jumped out of Ummama's hold.

"You're in Birmingham? Tell me you're joking."

"You're speaking to Stephen now, what's the address." Maimuna didn't hear anything Kameela said as she had already passed the phone to the driver.

Kameela told him and she cut the call. She turned to look at Ummama who was struggling to wipe her oily hands with tissue.

"Maimuna is coming!" She exclaimed like an excited teenager.

"What do you want me to cook for her?" A warm smile appeared on Kameela's face because she loved how no matter who you are, when you come over and Ummama is aware of your presence, you must eat something or at least go home with it.

"She loves cakes. Maybe an Oreo cake?"

"You'd have to run to the store and buy some Oreos. It isn't going to be enough." Ummama said as she walked to the bin to dispose of the oily tissue and the hair that was situated at the root of the comb.

"Okay." Kameela said as she walked to her to room to get her scarf. She braided the chunk of hair that hasn't been braided yet as she walked up the stairs. She got the scarf, placed it on her head and swung the right end over her shoulder. She looked in the mirror then took a tissue from the box so she could wipe her glistening forehead, she wasn't planning on lighting up the whole street.