Chapter 1 - Arrival

Kameela's P.O.V.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Nnamdi Azikwe Airport. Local time is 7:23 am and the temperature is 27 degree Celsius. On behalf of British Airways and the entire crew, I’d like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice day!”

I stand up from my seat and get my carry-on bag from the overhead bin. I joined the little traffic on getting off the plane. Immediately I approached the door, the hot air slammed against my face. I actually felt my face defrost a bit. I guess that's Nigeria's way of welcoming me. Now I knew for sure I've arrived in the right country.

I pass by immigration slowly, because of the long line. Then I head to the baggage reclaim area which was very rowdy and full of sweaty people that kept screaming from one end of the hall to another. I quickly carry my luggage then I got them cleared which was quite a tedious job. The man in charge kept getting phonecalls and he always just disappears from the scene. Finally making my way out of the airport, I stand with my luggage and wait for the driver to come pick me up.

"Excuse me my sister in the lord, where are you heading? I can take you there. My car has A.C. and is very comfortable." I saw a potbellied middle aged man with evidently bleached skin that was sweating out of his wits trying to carry my luggage.

"No thanks." I said getting a hold of my luggage.

"Sister let me help you. The car is over there." He pointed to one of the cars parked in the parking lot

"I said no thank you." I said as I adjusted the carry-on bag on my shoulder.

"But sister you have been standing here since. The sun will spoil your fine fresh face na. Let me take you to where you want to go to. I assure you it's not expensive." He tried to carry my luggage again and this time I tugged it away from him.

"Are you deaf or something? I said no thank you. I'm waiting for somebody." I eyed him before I looked away.

He hissed and started muttering something under his breath while walking away and wiping the sweat off his forehead with an off white handkerchief.

Soon another man approaches me. I was about to tell him I don't need a taxi till he introduced himself as the driver that's supposed to take me to Kano. I handed my luggage to him and followed suit behind him. 

The whole 6 hours journey to Kano, I was asleep. Only awoken when the car entered a deep pot hole. Why all the flights to Kano where grounded, I don't know. The driver announced when we arrived in Kano City. I sat up and looked out the window. I saw the tricycles, the men selling sugar cane, the 2000 mosques preparing for prayer. We also passed by the Emir's Palace. It looks simply exquisite.

Entering the gate that led us into an estate, the driver whose name is Garba announced our arrival. We entered a house which I'm guessing is my new home and we parked right in front of the entrance.

As I stepped out of the car, I saw my mum step out of the house too. I rushed towards her and gave her a hug.

"Oh Mama I missed you so much."

"Don't be a big baby. I've only been here two weeks." She said as she pulled away from the hug and held my arms.

"You left me all alone." I whined.

"You know we had to come here before you to settle in first."

"I love how the house is looking." I said as I raised my head and looked at the building in front of me.

"Why won't you when you designed it." I giggled

"Come on, let's go in. I'll show you around" My mum said excitedly as she intertwined our fingers and pulled me in with her. My mum walked me round the house in a very professional way, like she took some tour guide lessons or something. We covered every inch of the house.

Finally after the tour, I settled in my new room that is exactly to my taste. I actually gave my mum a sketch of how I wanted the furniture in my room to be arranged. I took a warm shower and put on a flare Ankara dress that I found in my wardrobe. The tailor must be good cause he didn't have my measurements.

I opened all my luggage and started organising my clothes. Thank God I had arranged my clothes accordingly to how I wanted to put them in my wardrobe. It made my unpacking very easy and fast. I headed to the living room that was by me and my brother's room and settled down after the unpacking.

As I carried the remote, I heard the door open and a couple of salaams. I stood up from where I sat and looked down to the living room downstairs and I saw guests. Not in the mood to start any meet and greet session, I silently walked back to my room.

Unfortunately, my mother had other plans. She called me and made me meet every single one of them. Apparently they were neighbours. We got visits from two other groups of neighbours and I had to paste the best fake smile cause I can't be sour on the first meeting. After all, first impressions go a long way.

Closing the door after escorting the last group I walk briskly to the sofa and crash on it. I pulled out my phone from the pocket of my dress and started playing Flow. My game was interrupted when a lady came in with a salaam.

"Your father is calling you. He said you should meet him in his study." She turned her back and started heading out.

"Okay. Before you leave, what's your name?"

"TaRasulu." I just nodded and she left. I put my phone back into my pocket and I start embarking on my short journey. 

Entering the study with a salaam, I walked in and sat on a sofa facing the table my father was using.

"Mukhtar told me you've got the job and you start on Monday." He said without lifting his head up from the table.

"Yes Baba. I got the email yesterday." I said as I played with my fingers.

"Masha Allah. I got a sim card for you." He just squeezed a paper and tossed it to the bin but he missed.

"Oh thank you. I was already planning on buying it tomorrow when I go out with Mama." I said as I stood up to put the squeezed paper into the bin.

"It's in my room on the coffee table."

"Baba?"

"Yes?" He slightly raised his head up and his eyes looked up, out of the glasses that was resting on the bridge of his nose.

"Who's going to take me to work and bring me back from work since I can't drive?"

"You ought to learn but before then, Garba will be doing that."

"Oh okay." I resumed playing with my fingers and soon started tracing out the patterns in my dress. After a minute or two, my father spoke.

"That's all. You can go."

"Goodnight Baba." He briefly looked up at me, smiled then returned to his papers. I walked to my room and sat on my desk. I prepared some documents I needed for work but then I realised I should be resting. So after I prayed, I changed to my pyjamas and tossed myself on the soft mattress. First night here and so far so good.

Incase you're wondering, my name's Kameela Azeez. I'm 5'5 with a chocolate like skin tone. I'm 23. I'm fluent in three languages; English, Fulfulde and Hausa. I grew up in Nigeria but left for England after year 6. We just moved back because my dad has retired and well, my parents wanted to move back to their motherland. I like to think of myself as the 'young, wild and free' type. I'm also a practising Muslim, well I mean I'm trying even though I have broken a couple of rules. Okay let me not add lying to the list, I've broken a lot of rules. Not that I'm proud of it but it's good to be aware of what you are, right? I have two male siblings. Well I mean one now since my twin brother passed away. So far that's all you need to know about me.