Chapter 5 - Admirer

Kameela's P.O.V.

"Mama are you sure you don't want to come?" I asked my mum as I draw my eyeliner over my waterline.

"Why would I want to come when it's your friend's wedding and I don't know any other person going?" She said as she did the final touches on my scarf. Thank God she was done with the pulling and tugging or else I would've left the house with an eyeliner mark extending to my hairline and a headache.

"To keep me company." I said as I flashed her a smile though the mirror.

"Don't worry about it, just go. What time does it start?" I picked the invitation card and read it out.

"Umm it says 7 pm." My mum gasps.

"Kameela it's like 8:30. You're very late. Why do you enjoy being to late to everything?"

"I don't know. I just end up late. I look at the time, I see I've still got time so I engage in some activity and before I know it, I'm late." I said as I looked for a purse to go with my outfit.

"Hurry up. Garba has been waiting for you. You know he has a family to go to." My mum said as she exited my room. I carried my shoes in my hand and walked downstairs. I quickly put them on and rushed outside.

"Good evening Garba. We're going to Fabs." He simply nodded his head and started driving out. I pulled out the invitation card and realised my mistake.

"Sorry Garba, I meant Meena." He nodded again and kept on driving. When we arrived at the event centre, Garba dropped me at the entrance and he drove off to find a place to park.

I entered the hall and I felt eyes on me. I stood at the entrance and surveyed the place to find a place to sit. I saw few empty seats. Unfortunately, the seats I tried to sit on were owned by people who were either taking pictures of the couple or going around greeting relatives. I had no choice but to sit at an all male table.

I won't say I get intimated by the other sex but I get intimated by 7 strangers that were all looking weirdly at me. I smiled to acknowledge the looks and I concentrated to what was happening in the fore front. Well I tried to cause the heads of 3 tall men that were seated at my table directly in front of me more than partially blocked my view.

As time went by, my 'table members' out of courtesy, involved me in their conversation. Thank God for that cause I hated being left out cause it made me feel awkward.

The moment I opened my mouth, I felt like they got more interested in what I was going to say. I'm not surprised anymore. This happens to me every time I talk to someone new. At first, I hadn't noticed but a colleague of mine mentioned it to me and apparently the reason was my accent. That's when I realised it was true. Sometimes, I tried to speak pidgin but it still sounded foreign to them cause the accent is well harvested in me. Thirteen years is no joke.

By the side of my eye, I noticed that the food was finally being served and I was elated. I hadn't eaten anything that day apart from the sandwich I managed to make for brunch at the office. I left too early to meet breakfast at home and I was too busy that I missed my lunch break and immediately I got home I showered and started dressing up for this event.

The waiters placed the plates in front of each person. I honestly didn't care about the reaction I'd get from the men on my savageness towards the food. But because of simple etiquette, I had eaten like I was in front of the Queen.

Soon enough, I noticed something out of place. I looked at the person beside me to my right and saw one of the most horrendous scenes I've ever seen. The man beside me had his fork on his right hand and his knife on his left. I tried letting it be but my whole body felt funny and itchy.