Chapter five

I woke early again in the morning. It was misty, but once the haze had lifted it seemed like it would be a clear day. They hadn't tied my hands for the night, for the first time, so I walked freely over to Ayol. He was stood with his back to me, looking out into the forest. He turned when he heard me, watching me approach with an inscrutable look on his face. 

'Come with me,' he said quietly. 

I walked with him as he led me away from the others, far enough that even if they woke we'd be out of earshot.

'Talk to me,' he said abruptly, sparing any niceties, as we kept walking.

I'd been thinking about what to do. I intended to get away on Sivia as soon as we hit the road, as long as I didn't lose my nerve like last time, but I knew that I wouldn't this time - I felt stronger now. The worst thing that could come from telling him the truth would be for them to accuse my Aunt of something to do with those papers. I don't think her name was on any of them - the only way they could link her to them would be if I found her, in which case we'd be out of the city as soon as possible anyway. On the other hand they might have some useful information that could help me. Clearly they had links with the prisons, authorities, maybe even the criminals. I'd decided to tell him.

I slowed down my pace and began. 'My aunt went missing three months ago. She went to Qren and she never came back. She used to go regularly to buy supplies, what I told you about that and about her is true. But this time she never returned. I've heard nothing from her since. No letters, no reports of anything happening on the road, nothing. It's like she's just vanished. I need to find her – she's the only family I've got. I haven't lied to you.' I looked at his face, his expression was impenetrable. I continued anyway. 'I don't know what to do other than go to Qren and look for her myself. I can't just sit at home doing nothing anymore. And no-one else can help me. Before I left I searched through her things and I found those papers. I don't know what they are, honestly. I brought them with me because they were hidden with her valuables so I thought they were important. I thought they might mean something to someone else, and I don't have much else to go on. The way you and Garrett reacted, I, well I don't want to get her into trouble, wherever she is, so that's why I didn't tell you. That's the truth.' I emphasised the last sentence.

We came to a stop and I looked up to him. His face was fixed in concentration, his brow furrowed as he absorbed the information and processed it.

He nodded, gravely.

'What are they – those symbols? Why are they banned?'

'There's a group of women in Qren who are said to be witches. It's dangerous to be linked to them – that's all you need to know. The organisation is banned, even possessing that symbol can get you whipped.' I shuddered at the thought.

'My Aunt – she's not involved with them. She goes to Qren every now and then to buy supplies, that's all.'

He pursed his lips for a second, like he was thinking about which approach to take next, then he said 'how well do you really know her?'

I didn't like the accusatory tone. 'She raised me. She's effectively my mother. I know for a fact that she's not involved in anything untoward, anything like you just said. She lives a simple life in Tarthin. She's never been in trouble for anything - she keeps herself to herself. I don't understand why she would have anything that's illegal. It has to have been a mistake. I can't imagine any other explanation.'

He didn't say anything, he just seemed deep in thought.

'Don't you believe me?' I asked.

'I believe what you're telling me. But I've watched you these last few days, you're innocent, inexperienced. I mean, you're barely been out of Tarthin before. You wouldn't suspect anything, you probably wouldn't even recognise anything wicked going on right under your nose.'