Chapter eight

By the time I woke it was nearly noon. Ayol was already dressed sat on one of the chairs by the window. He had breakfast laid out on the table – delicious looking pastries and fruit. It looked like there was enough for six people. I sat up and wrapped the blanket round my shoulders, like he had done the night before.

'Morning. Are you feeling better?' he asked, sitting forward in his chair.

'A lot better after some sleep,' I said, making my way over to him. He grinned widely as I sat down. I looked at his face for a moment as he smiled at me, seeming content and relaxed. I still felt like I hadn't taken him all in, this different version of him that was a million miles away from the terrifying man I'd men in the forest. He was gentle and perceptive, like he was able to anticipate what I needed. My eyes were always drawn to the scar on his lip. I wondered what he'd look like without it, but somehow knew I'd prefer him with it. I looked back to his eyes, finding that focussed and attentive expression in them. When he watched me like this I felt like he could read my thoughts.

'Eat. It's for you,' he said gesturing to the food.

'Thank you,' I said as I took an apricot slice.

'You said you liked sweet things, so I thought you'd like them,' he said, with a glint in his eye, looking pleased with himself. I was surprised that he'd remembered.

'I don't just mean for the food,' I said, looking at him sincerely. He knew what I meant. He gave me the slightest nod of his head as he continued to smile at me. I took a bite of the pastry. It was delicious – buttery and sweet and crumbly in my mouth. He watched me while I ate.

'Are you still guarding me?' I said teasingly. 'Do you think I'll escape if you look away?' He didn't answer, but went to the chest of drawers and sorted through some of his things, leaving me to eat in peace.

'Aren't you hungry?' I asked, feeling that I'd offended him.

'I already ate,' he said over his shoulder as he continued with whatever he was doing, 'I've been up for a while.' When I'd finished eating he came and sat back down.

'Here,' he said, holding something out to me in his hand. I took it from him – it was my money. The money he'd taken when he first searched me. I looked at him, open mouthed.

'You're free to leave. I'm not going to keep you here against your will. I believe what you've told me. I don't think you've done anything wrong.'

'Thank you,' I managed to say, stunned.

'But' he said, cautiously, 'you're welcome to stay with me for a few days if you want, until I need to leave. You can stay here while you sort out your travel back to Tarthin. You should take one of the escorted carriages, you'll be safer that way. I can show you where to book it.'

'I'm not going back to Tarthin,' I said frowning, 'not yet, anyway. I've finally made it here. I can't just turn around and go back without finding my Aunt.'

He seemed surprised. His face hardened. 'I doubt you'll find her. If she hasn't gone back to Tarthin she's either chosen not to return or she's dead. Take my advice and go home. You won't find the answer you're looking for here.' His tone was firm and final. Now I was surprised. Where had this sudden coldness come from, after being so kind to me in the last twenty-four hours?

'She's not dead,' I said adamantly. 'I might not find her but can't leave without at least trying, especially after all I've been through to get here.'

'You won't last two minutes in this city. If we hadn't taken those papers off you, you'd have been in the stocks by now, or worse. You're going to get yourself into trouble.'