Chapter sixteen

I was still sitting in the chair when the night started to lift from the air, shifting into the translucent grey of dawn. I needed to get out of the room. I didn't even think about changing my clothes from the previous day, the only thing I added to my attire was my dagger.

I walked purposefully, pounding my way through the streets yet without any destination in mind. My head was still racing. I needed to burn off some of the nervous energy that was pumping through my veins.

When I came to my senses I was in a part of town that I didn't recognise. It was sleek, clean and upmarket. There were a few shops dotted around, with patrons milling around outside nonchalantly. I envied them. I wished I was just shopping for bread or trinkets. I wished my world wasn't falling apart. I walked past a butcher, the smell of bloody meat made my stomach turn. I realised how weak I felt, I hadn't eaten or slept for over twenty-four hours, but I didn't think I would be capable of either. I slumped down into an empty doorway, bracing myself on the cool stone step and resting my back against the solid wooden door. That was when I saw her. It was unmistakeable. It was her. It was Aunt Maeve. She looked straight at me, then slipped out of view as she disappeared into a side-street. I clambered up and ran towards her, reaching the street just in time to see her slip out of view again.

'Aunt Maeve!' I called after her, but she didn't hear, or didn't listen. I couldn't catch up with her even though I was running as fast as I could. It was like she was gliding through the streets, seamlessly evading me. I saw her go into a building, leaving the door ajar behind her. It was a simple building made of grey stone, with no distinguishing features. I paused in front of the door, waiting to see if she would come back out, listening for any movement inside. Nothing. I pushed the door open warily. It was dim inside. There was a rectangular wooden table in the centre of the room, cluttered with pans, bowls, cups and knives. Above the table rows of plants, herbs and flowers were strung up drying. At the back of the room there was a huge stone fireplace. The light from the fire seemed to be the only source of light in the room. A woman stood in front of it with her back to me, but it wasn't Maeve. She had long strawberry blonde waves, tumbling past her shoulders.

'Where is she?' I asked abruptly. I could hear the panic and confusion in my breathless voice.

The woman turned to me, smiling sympathetically. She was beautiful, her kind smile instantly putting me at ease.

'Maeve?' she said in a voice as smooth as soft butter. 'She's gone, Odella. She's dead.'

I looked around the room. There was a door to my right. She could have gone through there, but why would she be hiding from me? I moved towards it swiftly. 'I saw her. I saw her come in here.' I put my hand on the cold metal door handle and thrust it open. It was a cupboard, full of jars of pickles and jams. 'Where is she?' I asked again, agitated, 'I saw her.' The woman was no longer by the fire, but stood in front of the door, blocking my escape. I hadn't heard her move.

'You saw what you wanted to see.' She gestured to the table. 'Sit down. We need to talk. I can tell you what happened.'

I stayed frozen by the cupboard, feeling bewildered. Had I imagined seeing her? I hadn't slept for so long, I was on the verge of delirium, it was possible.

'She was my friend,' she added, softly.

I pulled one of the wooden chairs back, hearing it scrape across the bare stone of the floor. I let my legs give way, landing in the chair with a thud. She sat down gracefully opposite me. Her face was perfectly symmetrical with flawless skin, smooth and pale like white marble.

'Maeve and I were friends. We met here in Qren during one of her visits. We were very similar, she and I, I knew as soon as I met her we'd be friends for life. She used to stay with me sometimes when she came here. What did she tell you about her trips here?' Her calm voice soothed me, putting me at ease again.