² ★ ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔰𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 ★

IT TOOK SIDNEY A LOT OF WILLPOWER NOT TO YELL AT DJ

She could tell there was something wrong immediately when Kory led DJ in. And it wasn't just because Kory came in first and started dimming the lights. It wasn't just because DJ's hands were bleeding and there were rips in the knees of her jeans. It wasn't just because she flinched so bad that she covered her ears when Sidney yelled in relief when she saw her.

No, Sidney knew Dinah Thea Queen like the back of her hand. She could tell when she was sad, or angry, or when she was lying, or when she was hurt, despite DJ's best efforts to bury any of her feelings that could cause problems. (Problems having a loose definition in this situation. DJ describing 'problems' as things that could worry her family or make her seem weak.)

Sidney knew DJ had fucked up before she even opened her mouth. And when she did, it wasn't a sentence she was expecting.

"N-not-t ev-ven a little s-sorry."

"You... what?" Sidney doubled back, frowning. "Why are you talking like that?"

"That's a long story. Can you check her out in the medical room while I help Dawn with the other kid?" Kory asked, putting her hands on her hips.

"Sure." Sidney said, looking at her sister in worry.

"Thanks. Remember, low lighting and no loud noises."

"Yes, ma'am." Sidney muttered, wondering when Kory had become an expert on taking care of her baby sister. Kory stalked off, presumably to do as she claimed and help whoever saved Jason.

"H-how's-s Jason-n?" DJ asked, following her oldest sister away from the front room and to the area where the medical rooms were located. They had two total, one of which was probably being occupied by the stranger in the Superman shirt.

"Physically? He seems fine. Mentally? He fell fifteen stories off the side of a building." Sidney said with a grimace. "I'd check on him pretty soon."

DJ nodded, then turned around.

"Not now." Sidney sighed. "You need at least a once-over. I'll try to be quick."

With an annoyed sigh, DJ turned back around and followed Sidney.

She was true to her word, Sidney was rushing through it. She went through all the necessary steps like taking her blood pressure, her tempature, that kind of thing. But when Sidney got to the test where a light gets shone in the patient's eyes, DJ flinched before it even reached hers.

"Okay, the light thing and the loud noise thing are probably just reprocotions of irritating your concussion." Sidney said, inspecting her youngest sister. "I'm worried about the stutter, though. We can't check that here."

DJ nodded and put her hands on her legs in a final sort of way. "Th-the-en we're don-ne here?" She asked, making a move to stand up.

Sidney rolled her eyes. "For now. But you should go to an actual doctor soon."