² ★ ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢 ★

WHEN JASON ASKED DJ TO CALL HIM AGAIN, SHE WAS NOT EXPECTING A PHONE CALL FROM HIM THE NEXT MORNING

It wasn't even twelve hours after their call the night before, so when DJ heard her phone ringing halfway through a training session, Jason was the last person she expected to be on the other line. All the adrenaline she gained from the past half an hour seemed to fall in an instant, being replaced by a feeling of heightened anxiety that made her spend about fifteen long seconds debating on whether or not to answer his call.

"Uh, hey-ey." She said nervously, hoping Gar wouldn't catch on to who she was talking to. It wasn't like she didn't trust him or didn't want to tell him, but she felt as if maybe he would judge her. She knew he wouldn't, but she couldn't stop the feeling of considering herself weak for being unable to not talk to Jason.

"Hey." If Jason felt any nervousness while talking to DJ, it wasn't evident in his voice. If anything, he sounded almost excited.

"Um, hol-old on a sec-cond." She said, then turned around to Gar, who was looking at her curiously. "Hey, ta-ake five while I tak-ke this."

Gar agreed, happily, and walked over to sit down while DJ turned and walked to the doors. She walked a bit down the hall and into the main area, sitting at the counter.

"I'm back." She said into the phone.

"What are you doing? You sound winded."

"Me and Gar are tr-traaining-g. He's a bit obsessive with it." DJ said with a laugh, then tilted her head thoughtfully and added, "Okay, maybe I am-am a little, too."

"Is Dick back already?"

DJ frowned. "No, why do y-you ask?"

"Well, who's training you?"

Even though she knew Jason didn't mean to be offensive, DJ still scoffed. "Oh, you don't-t think I'm ca-capable of training Gar? The amount-t of tim-mes I've kicked your ass n-n-not enough?"

Hurriedly and panickley, Jason tried to correct himself. "No, no. I just-just meant… I -"

"Relax, I'm-I'm fucking w-with you." DJ cut him off, smirking.

"That was not funny. You scared the fuck out of me."

"Sure sound-d-ded lik-ke it."

"Again, not funny." Jason huffed, then changed the subject. "What are you training him?"

"The same shit. Lear-rning to-to fight without using y-your eyes." DJ said. "He's getting re-really good, actually."

"Well, if anyone could teach him, it'd be you."

DJ took a moment to remind herself that it was just a compliment, not a declaration of love. "So, what-t are you up-p to?"

Jason sighed contently. "Absolutely nothing. It's amazing."